You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand for Big Sur

Hi,

I bought a refurbished MacBook Pro and it's running Big Sur. It does not have GarageBand installed on it, and audio editing is a primary reason I use a computer, and honestly the only reason I really have a Mac. It wont allow me to download the current version, I cannot download either Monterey or Ventura, and I do not have an older Apple ID to be able to find earlier versions in my download history.

Aside from inventing a time machine and buying a different computer, what can I do? I thought GarageBand came packaged with the OS, shouldn't my machine just have a version on it?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 8:51 AM

1 reply

Apr 5, 2023 5:37 PM in response to Whyisthissodumb

Hi Whyisthissodumb,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand you'd like to download an older version of GarageBand. If you've ever downloaded GarageBand in the past, you may be able to download an older version if you sign in with that same Apple ID. You'll want to check your previous purchases in your purchase history. This article explains more about this: View and manage purchased apps in the App Store on Mac.

Otherwise, you would need to update macOS if possible, in order to download a compatible version of GarageBand.

Take care.

GarageBand for Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.