Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MainStage 3 - Roland RD300SX - Control pedal EV5 Roland

Hi, I plug pedal at RD 300 for change volume ONLY of MainStage Patchs, but ONLY and exclusively in "soft"and "Expr" mode (in RD300) MS receive midi message and work like I want. But the RD300 also modifies the sound of the acoustic piano by pressing the pedal; how can I deactivate the pedal for piano sounds, but at the same time send these midi messages to MS? RD300 is the principal master/controller of MS, but it must not undergo the changes of the control pedal EV5. It's possible? Thanks

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 3:41 PM

The first step is to switch local control to OFF on the Roland RD300SX. The instructions for that can be found in the RD300SX manual (English version) on page 46. Your RD300SX should not make any sound when you play the keys now as you’ve disconnected the keyboard from the sound generator. Note that to use the RD300SX without MainStage you’ll need to switch it back ON again to reconnect the keyboard to the sound generator.

Then, at the CONCERT level in MainStage (this means that in the patch list on the left you’ve selected the orange folder with the guitar player at the very top) create a new channel strip. When the dialog box pops up choose External MIDI at the top. On the right side of the main portion of the window choose “Output: RD300SX Channel 1-16.” Then click create. You’ll probably get a warning that you are creating this channel strip at the concert level. Click Create.

Verify that playing the keyboard on the RD300SX once again makes sound. Select this new channel strip in the mixing board. Now in the tabs in the middle/bottom of the MainStage window choose MIDI Input. The right side now should have a list with just one item in it saying “SysEx” and “Filter”. Click the + to add a new item to the list. It defaults to “Pitch Bend”, but you want to change that to “11 Expression”. Then change the right side from “Unchanged” to “Filter”. Verify that the volume pedal no longer affects the RD300SX.

You’ll need to do this for each concert file that you want to use in this way.

I’ll mention that instead of doing this at the concert level you could do it in each patch in the list separately. This way you can do two additional things: 1. Leave out the channel strip on patches where you don’t want the RD300SX to sound at all. 2. Under the MIDI Output tab you could send patch changes to the RD300SX so it would automatically go to the desired sound for that patch rather than calling it up manually on the RD300SX panel.

Hope this helps,

--Kurt

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2023 3:41 PM in response to lenzozerolenzo

The first step is to switch local control to OFF on the Roland RD300SX. The instructions for that can be found in the RD300SX manual (English version) on page 46. Your RD300SX should not make any sound when you play the keys now as you’ve disconnected the keyboard from the sound generator. Note that to use the RD300SX without MainStage you’ll need to switch it back ON again to reconnect the keyboard to the sound generator.

Then, at the CONCERT level in MainStage (this means that in the patch list on the left you’ve selected the orange folder with the guitar player at the very top) create a new channel strip. When the dialog box pops up choose External MIDI at the top. On the right side of the main portion of the window choose “Output: RD300SX Channel 1-16.” Then click create. You’ll probably get a warning that you are creating this channel strip at the concert level. Click Create.

Verify that playing the keyboard on the RD300SX once again makes sound. Select this new channel strip in the mixing board. Now in the tabs in the middle/bottom of the MainStage window choose MIDI Input. The right side now should have a list with just one item in it saying “SysEx” and “Filter”. Click the + to add a new item to the list. It defaults to “Pitch Bend”, but you want to change that to “11 Expression”. Then change the right side from “Unchanged” to “Filter”. Verify that the volume pedal no longer affects the RD300SX.

You’ll need to do this for each concert file that you want to use in this way.

I’ll mention that instead of doing this at the concert level you could do it in each patch in the list separately. This way you can do two additional things: 1. Leave out the channel strip on patches where you don’t want the RD300SX to sound at all. 2. Under the MIDI Output tab you could send patch changes to the RD300SX so it would automatically go to the desired sound for that patch rather than calling it up manually on the RD300SX panel.

Hope this helps,

--Kurt

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Apr 5, 2023 4:39 PM in response to lenzozerolenzo

There are two possible solutions.

1. Find a way to stop this through the RD300's own system. I can't address that, as I don't own that keyboard, but it would involve reading the manual for that keyboard and figuring it out there.
  2. The other solution is to put the Roland into MIDI "local off" mode, then sending the MIDI info through MainStage and back to the Roland to play the piano sounds, but using MainStage to filter out the foot pedal activity.

Solution #1 is probably less complicated if you can find it. If not, reply if you need help with solution #2.

Apr 5, 2023 10:33 PM in response to Kurt Cowling

Hello and thank you for your reply. The first solution I think is not possible, RD300SX has few options compared to later models, it is just basic. The second option I was told but I couldn't, definitely my fault. I would be happy if you explain to me step by step when you have time. Just remember that RD300 is used as a master in all my “concerts” and in every single MS patch (song). If it can serve my RD300 and Nektar Impact 88 configuration both USB; in some song I use the piano ( with this problem ) or another sound of the RD300, otherwise I keep the volume at 0. Thank you

MainStage 3 - Roland RD300SX - Control pedal EV5 Roland

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.