Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not receiving texts on my new phone

I recently switched from an iPhone XS Max to my moms old iPhone 12 Pro Max, which she had cleared. The problem is that I cannot send or receive texts or calls on this new phone, even though I switched everything over. I have not shut down the old phone yet, so that may be why but I am not sure. Also I never switched the sim cards and I don't know if I should. Does anyone know how to fix this? ty

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2023 7:39 PM

Hey there,

If you experience issues like conversations in Messages showing up as separate threads or sent messages appearing as green message bubbles instead of blue message bubbles when you set up a new device, update your settings using the following steps:

1. Update your device to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS if needed.
  2. In the Settings app, tap Cellular. Make sure that your phone line is turned on. If you use multiple SIMs, make sure that the phone number you want to use is selected and turned on.
  3. In the Settings app, tap Messages. Turn iMessage off and then back on.
  4. Tap Send & Receive.
  5. Tap the phone number that you want to use with Messages.

If you have issues when you try to receive a FaceTime call after you set up a new device, you can also update your FaceTime settings.

if that doesn’t help, check this article for more steps troubleshooting ☞ If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

if you can’t make or receive call on your iPhone, Apple has provided an article for that ☞ If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2023 7:39 PM in response to kailani290

Hey there,

If you experience issues like conversations in Messages showing up as separate threads or sent messages appearing as green message bubbles instead of blue message bubbles when you set up a new device, update your settings using the following steps:

1. Update your device to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS if needed.
  2. In the Settings app, tap Cellular. Make sure that your phone line is turned on. If you use multiple SIMs, make sure that the phone number you want to use is selected and turned on.
  3. In the Settings app, tap Messages. Turn iMessage off and then back on.
  4. Tap Send & Receive.
  5. Tap the phone number that you want to use with Messages.

If you have issues when you try to receive a FaceTime call after you set up a new device, you can also update your FaceTime settings.

if that doesn’t help, check this article for more steps troubleshooting ☞ If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

if you can’t make or receive call on your iPhone, Apple has provided an article for that ☞ If you can't make or receive calls on your iPhone - Apple Support

Apr 2, 2023 7:53 PM in response to kailani290

kailani290 Said:

"Not receiving texts on my new phone: I recently switched from an iPhone XS Max to my moms old iPhone 12 Pro Max, which she had cleared. The problem is that I cannot send or receive texts or calls on this new phone[...]Does anyone know how to fix this? ty"

-------

Whom to Contact:

Contact your Carrier, if messaging is not working, as they are the one who provide you with the service of messaging.

Not receiving texts on my new phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.