Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to fix the problem final cut pro x library corrupt?

This afternoon I used final cut pro x as usual to edit my video. Then this popup appears (see screenshot). After this pop-up window appeared, I continued to edit my video and didn’t pay much attention to it, because I used to have this pop-up window on my old computer before, but there was no problem in the follow-up. After a few hours like this, when I was editing the video, the pop-up window was displayed again. When I pressed continue, my final cut pro x crashed, even if I could open it back, all my files disappeared. Now, when I open the library, it will exit directly, and then display "final cut pro quit unexpectedly". I also have this problem when opening my backup. It took me two days to edit this video, how can I get my video back?

MacBook Pro (M1, 2020)

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 8:09 AM

Final Cut Pro automatically makes backups of your libraries as you go along.

We are going to take one of these backups.

1) Go to your Movies folder. Inside there is a Final Cut Backups folder, and inside that you should find a folder named after your problematic library. Inside this folder are the backups, with names that are timestamps. Something like this (in this example, "Batata" is the name of the library):

2) Copy the most recent backup to another location, and rename it in a meaningful way - say "Batata - New Generation".

3) Try to open this "Batata - New Generation". If things go well, it should open, and it should contain your events and projects, but the clips should appear offline. That is normal.

To restore the media, you have to tell us: Was the media stored inside the library, or outside?

If it is inside the library, we will need an extra step. If the media was stored outside the library, skip to step 5.

4)

In the Finder, locate the problematic library, control-click and choose Show Package Contents.

Open the Contents folder. Inside there are one folder for each event. Create a new folder somewhere else on the same drive - call it, say, "My media". COPY (do not move) all the event folders to this "My media" folder. It will be quick and not use double the space (due to a special technique called Copy on Write).

5) In FCP, select the "Batata - New Generation" library, and go to File->Relink Files->Original Media

Choose Missing or All (in this case, it should not matter), then click Locate. Navigate to the folder where your media is (that would be "My media" if you needed step 4). Then click Choose; and click Relink Files.

Done (we hope!)

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 3, 2023 8:09 AM in response to JasonChiang1

Final Cut Pro automatically makes backups of your libraries as you go along.

We are going to take one of these backups.

1) Go to your Movies folder. Inside there is a Final Cut Backups folder, and inside that you should find a folder named after your problematic library. Inside this folder are the backups, with names that are timestamps. Something like this (in this example, "Batata" is the name of the library):

2) Copy the most recent backup to another location, and rename it in a meaningful way - say "Batata - New Generation".

3) Try to open this "Batata - New Generation". If things go well, it should open, and it should contain your events and projects, but the clips should appear offline. That is normal.

To restore the media, you have to tell us: Was the media stored inside the library, or outside?

If it is inside the library, we will need an extra step. If the media was stored outside the library, skip to step 5.

4)

In the Finder, locate the problematic library, control-click and choose Show Package Contents.

Open the Contents folder. Inside there are one folder for each event. Create a new folder somewhere else on the same drive - call it, say, "My media". COPY (do not move) all the event folders to this "My media" folder. It will be quick and not use double the space (due to a special technique called Copy on Write).

5) In FCP, select the "Batata - New Generation" library, and go to File->Relink Files->Original Media

Choose Missing or All (in this case, it should not matter), then click Locate. Navigate to the folder where your media is (that would be "My media" if you needed step 4). Then click Choose; and click Relink Files.

Done (we hope!)

Apr 3, 2023 7:26 AM in response to JasonChiang1

There may be some bad corruption in that specific library.

Try starting FCP and delete preferences once again, then open another library, or create a new one. Does that work? If so, then the problem is most likely a corrupted library.

If the application crashes quickly, even when just testing a new library, then it is something else.

Let us know.

how to fix the problem final cut pro x library corrupt?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.