Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

iPhone Sync in Ventura 13.3 no longer shows up in Sidebar of finder and must be launched from Music, but iPad remains in finder

So yes I do still sync music from my Mac. I have a huge collection of live music and I sync from my computer and do not let Apple Sync my library (as I don't want it to get messed up), though I have Apple Music for streaming.

After updating to Ventura 13.3, I was surprised to see that my iPhone no longer showed up in my finder when I connected it, to sync music from my computer. I thought something was wrong and restarted and ran utilities, but it never showed up.

Strangely it still shows up in Music, and I have to go into Music, and then click on the Sync Settings... button, which opens a finder window with the sync settings for my iPhone, and lets me sync, but strangely it doesn't show up in the sidebar of the finder.

What is even weirder, is that my iPad still shows up in the finder and lets me sync as it has since the introduction of the Apple Music app.

Now I liked sync better when it was in iTunes than in the finder (as I could do wifi sync, which was quitable by quiting the app, unlike the finder sync which I can't stop unless it finishes, in case I need to emergency restart my computer), but having it split across Music and the Finder is just weird, and hopefully a bug or mistake.

Here you can see my iPhone syncing, but only my iPad shows up on the left.

And here is my iPhone in music where you can see the Sync Settings button that you must now hit to open a finder window that shows my phone.

I have been quite surprised that no on has posted about this that I have seen online, so I decided I needed to post, but I have also submitted in Apple Feedback.

iMac Pro

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 10:00 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 6, 2023 1:33 PM in response to Jonah Lee Walker

Hi there Jonah Lee Walker,

If your iPhone is not longer showing in the Finder sidebar, these troubleshooting steps from If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad can alleviate this behavior:

1. Look in the Finder or iTunes
On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, look for your device in the sidebar of any window in the Finder.*
* This feature depends on a settting: From the menu bar in the Finder, choose Finder > Settings (or Preferences). Click Sidebar at the top of the settings window, then make sure that “CDs, DVDs and iOS Devices” is selected. If you don't see a sidebar in Finder windows, choose View > Show Sidebar from the menu bar, or press Control-Command-S.

2. Update the software on all devices
Update your iPhone or iPad
Update your Mac
Update your Windows PC
On your PC you might also need to update iTunes and update drivers.

3. Connect your device directly to your computer
Make sure that your device is unlocked and showing its Home Screen, then use a USB cable to connect it directly to your computer. Don't connect to a USB hub, display, or other device. 
If that doesn't help, disconnect your device and all other USB devices and accessories from your computer. Then reconnect only your device. 

4. Trust your computer, if asked
If you see a “Trust this Computer?” alert on your device when you plug it into your computer, tap Trust.
About the 'Trust This Computer' alert

5. Allow the accessory to connect
When connecting your device to a Mac laptop computer with Apple silicon, your Mac might ask whether you want to allow this accessory to connect. If so, allow it to connect.
Learn about allowing accessories to connect

6. Restart your devices
Restart your iPhone
Restart your iPad
Restart your Mac
Restart your Windows PC

7. Try a different port, cable, or computer
The issue could be related to your computer, its USB port, or the USB cable connecting it to your device. If possible, try a different computer, USB port, or USB cable. Also check for any debris in the charging port on the bottom of your iPhone or iPad.

Let's also create a new test user and see if this continues to occur there. That will allow us to isolate if settings in your user account are responsible for this issue. Here's how to create a new user: Add a user or group on Mac

Cheers!

iPhone Sync in Ventura 13.3 no longer shows up in Sidebar of finder and must be launched from Music, but iPad remains in finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.