can't open mail app

I can't open the mail app. An error occurs and it closes.

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 10:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2023 5:58 PM

I tried all the suggestions I could. I put the computer in safe mode and mail still crashes. I disconnected the Internet and mail still crashes. Since I can’t open Mail I can’t rebuild mail or find my last received email. I’m not sure what to do. I have many years of emails and it probably crashed the program.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 16, 2023 5:58 PM in response to BDAqua

I tried all the suggestions I could. I put the computer in safe mode and mail still crashes. I disconnected the Internet and mail still crashes. Since I can’t open Mail I can’t rebuild mail or find my last received email. I’m not sure what to do. I have many years of emails and it probably crashed the program.

Apr 3, 2023 1:22 PM in response to tmason1971

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

If still no good Disconnect from the Internet, then start Mail, look for the last rec'd eMail.

Does Mail crash if no internet?

Quit Mail & login to your WebMail in a Browser, if possible delete any later eMails there after the last rec'd one on the Mac.

If you have no POP accounts & they’re all IMAP accounts then in Mail’s Mailbox menu choose Rebuild.

Apr 17, 2023 4:51 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you for your help! I’ve reinstall my operating system and mail still crashes. I have some 15,000 emails on my computer that I’m unable to access. I think there’s just too many emails for the program. Using my browser I’m able to access web mail. Mail originally crash when I was transferring two years of emails from the server to the computer folder. It completed the operation because my web mail folder is nearly empty. I just can’t use the Mail app on my Mac.

can't open mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.