Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac 2T running Mojave is REALLY slow ==

I am having trouble with my iMac, running Mojave, and can’t move off Mojave just yet but need help in cleaning it up.  This started after I partitioned the hard drive to run Monterey on the new part [APFS] but I’ve taken that part off and now have 800+GB of space.  I have 48G of memory.

I did think I had cleaned off the Monterey APFS volume but when I restart the iMac now there is the following message: "Incompatible Disk=This disk uses Features that are not supported on this version of MacOS". So that may be part off the issue but not sure how to clean it off of all the left overs of Monterey.

The problems - slow responsiveness, slow opening hard drive, non opening drive, tried to create a test user and couldn’t and did a safe boot which took close to 8-10 min.  

After Safe Boot nothing worked well = I couldn’t open Force Quit, Finder kept freezing, beachball would spin and then just stop - couldn’t open the application folder even to run EtreCheckPro = but finally was able to and it’s running now and I’ll upload it.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 12:19 PM

Wow, so many crashes, I think you should start over & reformat/Erase the drive to MacOS Extended Journaled.

Only other thought is possibly you have something that updated to use Monterey & now doesn't work in Mojave.

Similar questions

6 replies

Apr 4, 2023 12:26 PM in response to BDAqua

Thank you = was hoping you'd see something I wasn't - right now I'm going to first reinstall the OS and see if that helps == also deleted some apps that I didn't need and which I figured I could take off == if the reinstall doesn't work I guess I'll bite the bullet and erase and reinstall == unless you think I probably should just go do that because a simple reinstall won't fix the problem. I hadn't thought of the possibility I upgraded some app and now it's triggering that message == will have to sort that out too. Much appreciated.

Apr 6, 2023 7:35 AM in response to BDAqua

Well I did erase - but the drive is a SSD drive [Solid State PCI-express Drive] and I had to reformat it to an APFS drive. Now the following 'warning' pops up "Incompatible Disk: This disk uses features that are not supported on this version of Mac OS". The drive is still just as set up on Mojave == this message did not appear before when I had the original Mojave OS on it - I had a fusion drive in the machine but had to replace the drive and we did an SSD drive == but that was last year and the warning which pops up [I can close it] just started recently = is there a way to turn the warning off? I don't want to bring back the old contents [most not all] of my drive from TimeMachine or elsewhere if this message is going to keep popping up.

My iMac 2T running Mojave is REALLY slow ==

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.