Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV Excessive Data Consumption

I started monitoring my Internet data usage on April 1 after my ISP warned I was getting close to my monthly data cap last month. During my monitoring, I discovered that my Apple TV 4K box was consuming a significant amount of data, despite my limited usage of it. Although I primarily use a Fire TV stick, my Apple TV box managed to consume approximately 70 GB of data while mostly in sleep mode since April 1, even though I had used it for only a short time (< 1 hour) to watch a few YouTube videos. After disconnecting the Apple TV from the network this morning, it became apparent that it was the culprit for the excess data usage. I have always had uPnP disabled, and do not use a VPN, but I am still unsure about the cause of this issue. Any insight as to what could be causing this excessive data usage?

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 10:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 10:50 AM

The Apple TV will use data to download new screen savers even while not actively being used. You can disable this by going into Settings ➜ General > Screen Saver Download New Video and set to Never..

Software updates may also use up a lot of bandwidth if set to automatically be downloaded and applied. You can also turn this option off in Settings System Software Updates Automatically Update and set to OFF.

App updates can also use data if set to automatically happen. Settings Apps Software Updates Automatically Update Apps and set to OFF.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 4, 2023 10:50 AM in response to FriskyinMN

The Apple TV will use data to download new screen savers even while not actively being used. You can disable this by going into Settings ➜ General > Screen Saver Download New Video and set to Never..

Software updates may also use up a lot of bandwidth if set to automatically be downloaded and applied. You can also turn this option off in Settings System Software Updates Automatically Update and set to OFF.

App updates can also use data if set to automatically happen. Settings Apps Software Updates Automatically Update Apps and set to OFF.

Apple TV Excessive Data Consumption

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.