Automatic App Updates Not Working

My Iphone 11 is currently running iOS 16.1.2. My apps will not update automatically although I have them set to do so. App Store>Click on my Account>Under Upcoming Automatic Updates, I have 47!!! If I click on "Update All" I will have to enter my Apple ID password 47 times.

Under Settings>App Store, I have All automatic Downloads on for app Downloads, App Updates and In-App Content.

What am I missing? I have not been able to automatically have my apps automatically update in over a year.

iPhone 11

Posted on Apr 4, 2023 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2023 10:34 AM

Hey Donna_63,

We're glad to hear that you were able to get that resolved. Thanks for letting us know. We're happy to have helped.

Have a great week. 

10 replies

May 9, 2023 8:07 AM in response to Donna_63

Donna_63,

Can you try the following steps and let us know if you are able to download those updates without inputting your password?

Open up Settings and tap Screen Time. From there, scroll down and tap Content & Privacy Restrictions. Next, check "iTunes & App Store Purchases" to see if it is set to ask for your password. If it is, try disabling that feature temporarily and seeing if you can update your apps now without the password. If that feature is greyed out (meaning it is disabled), go ahead and toggle "Content & Privacy Restrictions" to on, then tap "iTunes & App Store Purchases" and disable the password requirement feature.

We hope this does the trick for you.

Apr 8, 2023 8:16 AM in response to Donna_63

Hello Donna_63,

Thanks for connecting with us here in Apple Support Communities. The first thing we'd recommend is that you update your iPhone to the latest iOS release as this may help to address the issue you're facing. You can do this by going to Settings > General > Software Update.

You'll also want to check if the app downloads are set to download over cellular data. You can see more about this here: How to manually update apps on your Apple device - Apple Support

How to turn on or turn off automatic updates on your iPhone or iPad
1. Go to Settings.
2. Tap App Store.
3. Turn on or turn off App Updates.
iPhone showing App Store options in Settings, including App Updates.

Kind regards.

Automatic App Updates Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.