Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What can I do for all the hard buttons to respond back again

phone 7 plus home button and power button don't respond

I have an iphone 7 plus

I've noticed quite a few times intermittently all of the hard button on my phone stop responding.

In example, the power button won't shut off the screen and the home button won't go back to anything.

I'm not sure about the volume buttons but i assume they as well aren't responding since i don't see the overlay for volume come up when i press them.

Anything i have on my touch screen is still responsive and i can still do anything i need to with the touch screen, but that's obviously limited to whatever app i have open since i can't get back to the menu.

For instance if i have iMessage open i can still send messages and write messages but i can't exit the app to do something else.

This is unique to my iphone 7 plus, since i had never experienced this behavior in my iphone 6 plus in the past 2+ years, i also did not experience any of this even with iOS 10 in the 2 weeks or so i had it installed on my iphone 6 plus, only on my iphone 7 plus.

There's only way way i've found to make the hard buttons work again and that's frantically push a bunch of them until the phone registers it finally.

After i see the buttons respond, i notice it's actually going through all the behaviors i had pushed on the buttons up until that point. So i'll see the screen turn on and off multiple times and go in and out of the home menu.

This has happened at least half a dozen times and i've only had my phone for 10 days.

In reference i've also had a coworker run into the same issue on his iphone 7 plus 256GB but he found that doing a hard reset with the down volume and power button does the trick for him.

Both of the "fixes" in my opinion are pretty lousy ways to get your phone working again.

Any known issue with hard buttons registering in the software? It seems like all of the actions get buffered and don't actually hit the software for response.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 2:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 4:44 AM

Hello,

Hmm, occasionally phones freeze up. Just follow the steps here:

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won‘t turn on or is frozen

For button issues, see this:

If a button or switch isn't working on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

Good luck.

Similar questions

1 reply

What can I do for all the hard buttons to respond back again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.