Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home invite error "Their home needs to be ugraded first"

I added a HomePod mini to our network yesterday and tried inviting my wife to the "Home". She gets a notification on her Iphone that says "________ invited you to share 'Home'. To accept this invitation, their home needs to be ugraded first". The HomePod mini is the only thing in the Home app and I have upgraded it to 16.4. So what exactly needs to be upgraded? Why can't she accept the invite?

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 4:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 10:48 PM

One of you has opted to Upgrade to the new Home architecture and all devices that need to use the Hone App or accept the invitation from, must be updated to 16.4. If her devices are not updated she can’t use Home.

Update everything that supports the latest software updates. The link explains which devices. If some can’t be, that's ok, but you need at least one that can to use the home app on it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2023 10:48 PM in response to jbunting89

One of you has opted to Upgrade to the new Home architecture and all devices that need to use the Hone App or accept the invitation from, must be updated to 16.4. If her devices are not updated she can’t use Home.

Update everything that supports the latest software updates. The link explains which devices. If some can’t be, that's ok, but you need at least one that can to use the home app on it.

Home invite error "Their home needs to be ugraded first"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.