Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location Services

Using iPhone 11 with updated software, trying to set up Location Services and keep getting message "Share My Location Unavailable: Unable to connect to server. Please try again later." Any suggestions?

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 9:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2023 9:28 AM

If you're having trouble with Location Services on your iPhone and receiving the "Share My Location Unavailable: Unable to connect to server" error message, there are a few things you can try:

1. Check your internet connection:
    1. Connecting to Wifi is the first part and then getting connected to the Internet is the second
      1. If you connect to Wifi, doesn't necessarily mean you are connected to the internet. If you are not connected to wifi could be a problem with iPhone settings or Router/Modem Settings
      2. If you are not connected to the internet is the sole issue of Router / Modem Settings. Contact your ISP immediately
    2. Check your WiFi Router / Modem for --> Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points ...
  2. Make sure your iPhone is connected to the internet and that you have a strong and stable connection. If you're using cellular data, check your signal strength and consider switching to Wi-Fi.
  3. Check Apple's system status:
    1. Sometimes, issues with Location Services can be caused by problems on Apple's servers. Check the Apple System Status page (Apple - Support - System Status) to see if there are any ongoing issues that may be affecting Location Services.
  4. Reset Location & Privacy settings:
    1. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy. This will reset all your location and privacy settings to their default values, so you'll need to re-enable permissions for any apps that require them.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you may want to try contacting Apple support for further assistance.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 6, 2023 9:28 AM in response to Rbodie54

If you're having trouble with Location Services on your iPhone and receiving the "Share My Location Unavailable: Unable to connect to server" error message, there are a few things you can try:

1. Check your internet connection:
    1. Connecting to Wifi is the first part and then getting connected to the Internet is the second
      1. If you connect to Wifi, doesn't necessarily mean you are connected to the internet. If you are not connected to wifi could be a problem with iPhone settings or Router/Modem Settings
      2. If you are not connected to the internet is the sole issue of Router / Modem Settings. Contact your ISP immediately
    2. Check your WiFi Router / Modem for --> Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points ...
  2. Make sure your iPhone is connected to the internet and that you have a strong and stable connection. If you're using cellular data, check your signal strength and consider switching to Wi-Fi.
  3. Check Apple's system status:
    1. Sometimes, issues with Location Services can be caused by problems on Apple's servers. Check the Apple System Status page (Apple - Support - System Status) to see if there are any ongoing issues that may be affecting Location Services.
  4. Reset Location & Privacy settings:
    1. Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy. This will reset all your location and privacy settings to their default values, so you'll need to re-enable permissions for any apps that require them.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, you may want to try contacting Apple support for further assistance.

Apr 6, 2023 10:19 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thank you for your assistance. I am not very technically adept, but your instructions seem spot-on. I rent my router from Spectrum, so have no idea how to check settings on it. I checked the Apple site for system issues, and nothing was there...and I do have a very strong cellular signal, so I turned off wifi and did the reset you recommended, but still get the same message.

Any other thoughts other than contacting Apple support?

Location Services

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.