Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound comes through iPod Nano when earphones are plugged in.

When my daughter plugs her earphones into her Nano, the music plays through the iPod as well as through her earphones. I've put the earphones in as tight as they will go but the sound still plays through the Nano. I've also used my son's earphones with the same result. This problem just started a few days ago.

Dell

Posted on Aug 17, 2010 6:10 PM

10 replies

Aug 17, 2010 8:32 PM in response to BCoach

Hello BCoach,
And welcome to Apple Discussions!

Not sure as to why this is happening. As long as you are sure the headphones are plugged all the way in. Maybe try resetting the iPod. To do this, toggle hold switch on and off, then press and hold the Select (Center) and Menu buttons together until the Apple logo appears. Any luck there?

If not, your next would be a restore although it's unlikely to fix what sounds like a potential hardware issue.

B-rock

Aug 21, 2010 6:03 PM in response to planb77

Hey BCoach. I looked at this thread because I was having exactly the same problem. I plugged my ipod to my car with the wire thing and the music played from the ipod itself. Then I plugged my headphones in: same thing. I reset the ipod the way that you said to in your reply, and it fixed it 🙂. The problem started after I had plugged the ipod to the dock and music player. I guess that doing that a few times "confused" the ipod? I don't know. Just letting you know it worked 🙂.

Aug 25, 2010 12:45 PM in response to BCoach

I have a similar exeperience when using my ipod nano 5th generation in the car. I have a cord to plug it in to the auxilary jack in my vehicle and connect it to my ipod in the spot where you would recharge it. When I do this the sound comes out my ipod not the car speakers. I used to use this cord with my ipod nano 1st generation, but it doesn't work with 5th gen. Does anyone know about this problem and what kind of cord I need to get?

Aug 26, 2010 3:21 AM in response to BCoach

Hi there,

I had exactly the same proble where the sound was coming through my headphones and also through the ipod speaker (although I didn't know this until today. Tube passengers must have hated me!). It happened with two different kinds of headphones. I have followed your instructions and reset the ipod and it seems to have resolved the problem but will this happen again and why is it happening? Anyone know? Thanks

Sound comes through iPod Nano when earphones are plugged in.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.