Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scanning a non-system photo library

Hi. I have a single photo library, which, however, is located on an external drive. Most of the time the drive is disconnected from my Mac, but when I plug it in to use the photo library, the Photos app gives an error (4301), which is only resolved by restarting the user session.

Will the Photos app analyze in the background the non-system photo library, which is also located on an external drive?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 7:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 9:47 AM

As far as I can tell, Photos 8 is scanning all my libraries, not just the System Photos Library. The "date modified" for all libraries keeps changing, even if I have not opened them for a long time. This started after the last system update. I can currently only look at the libraries on the internal drive of my mac, in my Home folder and in /Users/Shared . The date modified of all Photos Libraries keeps changing. But I cannot check the libraries on external drives right now, because I am travelling.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2023 9:47 AM in response to thehugonote

As far as I can tell, Photos 8 is scanning all my libraries, not just the System Photos Library. The "date modified" for all libraries keeps changing, even if I have not opened them for a long time. This started after the last system update. I can currently only look at the libraries on the internal drive of my mac, in my Home folder and in /Users/Shared . The date modified of all Photos Libraries keeps changing. But I cannot check the libraries on external drives right now, because I am travelling.

Scanning a non-system photo library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.