Cannot delete recurring meeting

Hello

I have a recurring event in my calendar that I am trying to delete. It lets me delete it and then pops straight back up again. I have tried deleting all future events as well as just the single event and neither are successful. I have also tried on my mac and iPhone - again, nothing successful. The meeting was created by someone else, and she has deleted it on her end, but I cannot delete it on mine.

Can anyone help?

This was previously asked in this forum (two years ago.) One solution offered then was to go back to the initial meeting and delete from there forward. This did not work.

Other suggestions?

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13″, 12.6

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2023 3:27 PM

I was FINALLY able to resolve this. I happened to notice that the recurring appointment was not just in my Mac calendar app but also in my Google calendar (which I NEVER use.) I deleted it there, and this finally did the trick. Bizarre.

Similar questions

7 replies

Apr 10, 2023 10:50 AM in response to Arpagaus

Greetings Arpagaus,

It sounds like you cannot delete an event from the Calendar app. We know this is important for you, and you’re in the right place for answers.

If you can’t change a calendar or event on Mac

• If you can’t change an event you created, or you can’t change your status for an event you were invited to, it might be because you’re using an email address in Calendar that isn’t on your card in Contacts. Make sure all your email addresses are listed on your Contacts card. See Edit contacts.
• You can’t change events for calendars you subscribe to, although you can change the calendar name, color, location, and whether alerts or attachments are removed.
• You can’t edit a calendar for which you have view-only privileges. To check your access privileges, place the pointer over the calendar’s name in the calendar list, then click the Share Calendar button . If you see View Only next to your name, you have view-only privileges. (If you don’t see the calendar list on the left, choose View > Show Calendar List.) See Ways to share calendars.
• If you were invited to an event, you can change only some settings: your status, the calendar where the event appears, the alerts, and your availability.
• You can’t change birthdays in the Birthdays calendar in Calendar; see change birthdays in Contacts.
• If you can’t change the time zone for events, time zone support might be turned off. In the Calendar app  on your Mac, choose Calendar > Settings, click Advanced, then select “Turn on time zone support.” See Use different time zones.
• If you want to change events on a published calendar, but you deleted the calendar, re-create the calendar with all of its events, give it the same name, then publish it. The new calendar replaces the previously published one.

See also
Symbols used in Calendar on Mac
Add, modify, or delete events in Calendar on Mac

This info is located in the Calendar User Guide: If you can’t change a calendar or event on Mac - Apple Support

Cheers!

Apr 20, 2023 5:07 PM in response to Arpagaus

Hey there Arpagaus,

What account was this on? Was it iCloud? If so, got to iCloud.com, and see if you can delete or hide the event there. You can read how to do this here:

In Calendar on iCloud.com, do any of the following:
* Delete an event you own: Double-click the event to select it, then click Delete.
* If you invited anyone to the event or if it belongs to a shared calendar, an alert appears giving you the option to notify participants of the cancellation.
* If the event is a recurring one, an alert appears giving you the option to delete only this event or all future occurrences of the event.
* Delete an event you’re invited to: Double-click the event to select it, then decline the event.
* Set Calendar to automatically hide past events: Click the Show Actions menu in the bottom-left corner, then choose Preferences. In the Advanced pane, select “Hide events n-days after theyʼve passed,” then enter the number of days.
* To show hidden events, deselect the same option.

Delete or hide a calendar event on iCloud.com

If it wasn’t iCloud but another account, try from the account’s site directly. This may have an impact on the issue. 

Regards. 

Apr 19, 2024 6:03 PM in response to Arpagaus

I had a similar problem. The recurring event had been deleted from my gCal calendar but kept popping up on my iCal calendar after I deleted it on gCal. Deleting the synchronized gCal calendar from my iCal and then adding it back did not help: the old event started popping up again. Here's what I did to fix the problem...

1. Verify that the event isn't on gcal. If it is, delete it there and you're probably done.
  2. In iCal, right click on the event and select Email Event Series.
  3. Email Event Series will open up a mail draft with the invitation in the email draft.
  4. Double click on the invitation in the email draft and accept the invitation.
  5. Step #4 should move your calendar to the first occurrence of the event. If it doesn't, find the first occurrence of the event.
  6. Delete the first occurrence of the event and select Delete All.
  7. Delete the email draft created in step #3.

Apr 20, 2023 4:54 PM in response to Mike_P1

This was not helpful. All my email addresses are listed on my Contacts card, for what it's worth, and none of the other suggestions apply. This was a recurring appointment created by someone else. I originally accepted it. The meeting was subsequently deleted by the creator, but it "stuck" on my end, and I cannot get rid of it. If I try to delete it, it disappears, then pops back into my calendar ten seconds later.

I would love to find a way of getting rid of it, if anyone has a useful suggestion.

Cannot delete recurring meeting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.