Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My brother gave me his old iPhone 7, but we cannot get it unlocked. Need help I want to put my Sim card in it out of my iPhone.

My brother gave me his old iPhone 7, but we cannot get it unlocked. Need help I want to put my Sim card in it out of my iPhone.

iPhone 8

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 12:23 PM

Sounds like the old iPhone is still locked to the carrier that your brother was using. Your brother will need to contact the carrier and ask them to remove the SIM lock on the phone.

Please understand that depending on the agreement with the carrier, they may be under no obligation to unlock the phone.

Only the carrier can remove the lock on the iPhone. Apple cannot do this.

When the iPhone has been unlocked, you may still need to contact the carrier that you want to use to get things set up.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2023 12:23 PM in response to Angelofdeath666

Sounds like the old iPhone is still locked to the carrier that your brother was using. Your brother will need to contact the carrier and ask them to remove the SIM lock on the phone.

Please understand that depending on the agreement with the carrier, they may be under no obligation to unlock the phone.

Only the carrier can remove the lock on the iPhone. Apple cannot do this.

When the iPhone has been unlocked, you may still need to contact the carrier that you want to use to get things set up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.