Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

battery drains while MacBook Pro is asleep

When I close my MacBook Pro, the battery drains as if I had it open. Is there a setting that I can change? The system settings say that the battery is operating normally.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 12:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 3:18 PM

dandydaddy wrote:

No. It's 13.2.1 (22D68)

The current stable release of Ventura including bug fixes,  security updates  is macOS Ventura 13.3.1 - I would start there

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support

6 replies

May 23, 2023 9:14 AM in response to dandydaddy

Same problem in Big Sur v11.7.7 overnight today with my traveling client's 13" 2020 MBP (A2251 model; MWP62LL/A; Intel Core i7 (2.3 GHz; quad-core 10th gen. i7 CPU; 8 MB; L3 cache (Turbo Boost up to 4.1 GHz)), 32 GB of 3733MHz LPDDR4X RAM, 2 TB PCIe-based SSD, Intel Iris Plus graphic, macOS Big Sur v11.7.7, etc.). His macOS' battery usage shows nothing on screen during its sleep. It did show Spotlight's power usage briefly in the early morning hours when he woke it up. Its battery health says normal. Is it because of the week old Anker Series 7/PowerPort III 3 (US Black Iteration 1; A2667111; 65W) even though not connected?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon.

May 23, 2023 9:42 AM in response to dandydaddy

The computer is not anesthetized during sleep: it does maintenance tasks and updates. If you want the battery to do nothing at night, you have to turn off the computer. Even then, the battery may deliver tiny amounts of current to maintain settings.

1) macOS has featured automated self-maintenance routines for over 20 years. They run in the wee hours of the morning local time to take care of all housekeeping and other maintenance like defragging. You should leave those running unless you want your computer running like its 1995 all over again.

2) Disabling automatic updates for both the system and apps can help reduce drain while sleeping.

3) Running ANY anti-virus or so-called "cleaning" apps will shorten battery runtime. My item 1 above makes them useless and a prime source of Mac performance issues.

4) Some web sites can use an extraordinary amount of resources even if in the background. I quit all browsers before I let my Macbook Pro sleep all night on battery.

battery drains while MacBook Pro is asleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.