Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix duplicate users folders for one user after restoring from TimeMachine backup? "JohnSmith_1"

When I bought my Mac Studio last year I used migration assistant to restore from Time Machine backup and noticed a few months later that my home folder had my name with an added suffix, ex. JohnSmith_1

Then I noticed I had two username folders in my Users folder:

• JohnSmith
  • JohnSmith_1

The JohnSmith folder contains the Library Folder (131MBs) and an empty folder labeled 'Misc.'

JohnSmith_1 contains everything else and has the official home folder logo on the icon.

The problem is that I believe the '_1' part that added itself during/after the transfer is interfering with apple's Handoff feature, and copy&paste functions between my computers, works only 50% of the time for some reason. I also want set this straight as soon as possible since I have to imagine this might interfere with maintaining time machine backups I have going back a long time since it might detect a username change.

Does anyone have experience with modifying the "home directory" under the advanced username prefs? I know better than the mess with this without guidance and backing up first, so figured I'd ask.

My home directory is currently pointing to JohnSmith_1. Was hoping I could moving items from that folder to JohnSmith, then point the home directory to JohnSmith.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Mac Studio (2022)

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 1:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 7, 2023 4:02 PM

move are user contents from incorrectly named JohnSmith_1 folder to JohnSmith folder.

Don't do any of that since it is likely to screw things up. Dragging User folder contents from one to another is not the right way to do it, and is certain to result in incorrect file permissions. Instead, rename the one named JohnSmith first, using any arbitrary name. The only reason for doing that is in preparation for renaming the JohnSmith_1 User folder — the one you want to use — which we will be doing presently.

After renaming the JohnSmith folder, perform the following exactly as written:

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

Pay attention to the boxed note at the beginning. Apple does not draw attention to such things unless they're really important, and this one is really important. Yes you will need to create yet another, temporary Admin User Account as a prerequisite. It will exist for the sole purpose of renaming the User Account you wish to use — which again I am assuming will be JohnSmith. That's the reason you need to rename that User folder first.

As you follow those Apple Support instructions, if you have questions please stop and ask first.

Assuming all goes well you can eventually delete the temporary Admin User Account according to Delete a user or group on Mac - Apple Support.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 7, 2023 4:02 PM in response to LongIslandCity

move are user contents from incorrectly named JohnSmith_1 folder to JohnSmith folder.

Don't do any of that since it is likely to screw things up. Dragging User folder contents from one to another is not the right way to do it, and is certain to result in incorrect file permissions. Instead, rename the one named JohnSmith first, using any arbitrary name. The only reason for doing that is in preparation for renaming the JohnSmith_1 User folder — the one you want to use — which we will be doing presently.

After renaming the JohnSmith folder, perform the following exactly as written:

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

Pay attention to the boxed note at the beginning. Apple does not draw attention to such things unless they're really important, and this one is really important. Yes you will need to create yet another, temporary Admin User Account as a prerequisite. It will exist for the sole purpose of renaming the User Account you wish to use — which again I am assuming will be JohnSmith. That's the reason you need to rename that User folder first.

As you follow those Apple Support instructions, if you have questions please stop and ask first.

Assuming all goes well you can eventually delete the temporary Admin User Account according to Delete a user or group on Mac - Apple Support.

Apr 7, 2023 3:47 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks for your feedback, John.

I'm seeing only one user at the login screen so that's good news.

I'm somewhat fearful I may miss a step or screw up order of ops at the cost of screwing up my account, so just want to clarify steps here.

The correctly named folder already exists, it just doesn't contain anything besides the library folder. There are two things I need to do it sounds like, and wondering if one needs to be done first:

• move are user contents from incorrectly named JohnSmith_1 folder to JohnSmith folder.
  • In system prefs > users > advanced options > home directory: change it from JohnSmith_1 to JohnSmith

An important question of caution since I know account user settings are usually done from another admin account: Are these changes all kosher to make from the user account in which the changes are for?

Thanks again for your time and input.

Since the correctly named folder exists, should drag the contents to it instead of renaming? Will I need to redirect the "home directly" folder in system prefs?

Just to clarify, is there anything that can potentially get screwed up that I might now be thinking about?

Thanks again

Apr 7, 2023 3:03 PM in response to LongIslandCity

At the Login screen, do you see both users?

If you just see the one user account, that's good. You can safely rename the folder in Users named JohnSmith. Rename it in the usual fashion. You will need to authenticate which is normal.

If you see two separate User Accounts at the Login screen don't proceed any further. Also please confirm the JohnSmith folder contains a Library folder, an empty folder labeled 'Misc.' and nothing else.

I assume you want your normal User folder to bear that name and not JohnSmith_1, so give the JohnSmith folder an arbitrary name that we will later change to JohnSmith.

Apr 7, 2023 4:05 PM in response to John Galt

Ok noted, thanks for the heads up here.

Just want to triple check . The folder (JohnSmith) I'm to rename to an arbitrary name contains a "Library" folder which I'm not seeing in the current home folder (JohnSmith_1) unless it's hidden. Is there any risk of changing the name of this folder ahead of following the instructions in the link you provided?

Thanks again

Apr 7, 2023 4:12 PM in response to LongIslandCity

No risk, since that folder's contents will remain unchanged, just under a different name.

I understand your reticence to disregard its contents and I'm not advocating that. The folder's contents will remain unchanged. I doubt they will be necessary but I am just as conservative about not deleting anything unless I'm certain I no longer need it. Even then, you will have the Time Machine backup as a safety net.

Nothing is hidden by default; if there were any other meaningful contents in that folder they would have a "prohibited" symbol meaning they are inaccessible.

Thank you for triple-checking. I don't like being only 99.999% certain either.

How to fix duplicate users folders for one user after restoring from TimeMachine backup? "JohnSmith_1"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.