Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost data

Hello,

I had to erase the data on my iPhone this week to restore access to my phone. However, I later realised that I cannot restore my data from iCloud. Your colleagues told me that the backup function was probably switched off on my iPhone before it was erased. I don’t know how it happened, but I have been paying for iCloud service for many years to always have a backup of my data. Unfortunately, it did not work when I needed it to. Where is the data that has been backed up over all these years? I lost all my photos from the past decade, which was very stressful for me this week. Please help me to restore at least some of them as I have been backing up my phone for many years.

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 2:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 3:02 AM

Svininnikov wrote:

backup function was probably switched off on my iPhone before it was erased.

It is not clear from your post when you have been paying for ICloud Storage then why you did not backup your iPhone even once in these years.

Paying for iCloud Storage does not necessarily mean your iPhone is backedup automatically.

However, please understand if you had enabled iCloud Photos, Messages, Reminders, Notes, Contacts, Calendar, Safari tabs etc they will never be backed up even if you had switched ON Backup on iCloud. Because they are stored in iCloud.

After erasing simply enable iCloud Photos, Messages, Reminders, Notes, Contacts, Calendar, Safari tabs etc and all your data will be back on your device without restoring from your iCloud Backup.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2023 3:02 AM in response to Svininnikov

Svininnikov wrote:

backup function was probably switched off on my iPhone before it was erased.

It is not clear from your post when you have been paying for ICloud Storage then why you did not backup your iPhone even once in these years.

Paying for iCloud Storage does not necessarily mean your iPhone is backedup automatically.

However, please understand if you had enabled iCloud Photos, Messages, Reminders, Notes, Contacts, Calendar, Safari tabs etc they will never be backed up even if you had switched ON Backup on iCloud. Because they are stored in iCloud.

After erasing simply enable iCloud Photos, Messages, Reminders, Notes, Contacts, Calendar, Safari tabs etc and all your data will be back on your device without restoring from your iCloud Backup.

Lost data

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.