Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data loss due to screen cracking

Why do I have to lose my data just because my passcode malfunctioned? Is there a way to recover unbacked up data on my device? My phone fell and the screen cracked so it kept dialing itself until it was unavailable, I have a lot of photos/contacts/important memories on the phone that I had not backed up. Why do I have to lose them when I restore my phone? Why can't apple seek to confirm my identity and return back data on my phone rather than wipe out my entire data. Does anyone have experience with this and can help?

iPhone X, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 7:22 AM

There is a way and Apple provides it but you should have been backing up your phone either with iCloud or to a computer but now its too late - your phone is damaged. Backing up your data is your responsibility.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies

Apr 11, 2023 10:54 AM in response to Co-User

Co-User wrote:

I hear you, however for them icloud is a business which they are forcing on customers. If I buy the phone it belongs to me and not to apple and so the data is mine. Unless the phone is stolen and I report it stolen, they should not lock one's phone or restrict access to it for the owner. I view icloud as one way tech corporations are taking over our personal data and our freedom because this data is stored in their servers. They should not force me to buy icloud storage, when I already bought the phone, which by the way wasn't cheap at all

I don't buy iCloud storage either nor do I store backups in the cloud. I use the free included Time Machine app to backup my data and I have control over who can see it and where I store it. Bottom line is no matter where I store backups I'm responsible for my actions or lack thereof just like you are to make sure backups are done properly and on a regular basis. You have no one to blame but yourself.

Feel free contact Apple here: Product Feedback - Apple

Apr 11, 2023 10:35 AM in response to pogster

I hear you, however for them icloud is a business which they are forcing on customers. If I buy the phone it belongs to me and not to apple and so the data is mine. Unless the phone is stolen and I report it stolen, they should not lock one's phone or restrict access to it for the owner. I view icloud as one way tech corporations are taking over our personal data and our freedom because this data is stored in their servers. They should not force me to buy icloud storage, when I already bought the phone, which by the way wasn't cheap at all

Apr 11, 2023 10:46 AM in response to pogster

Yes it is both a life lesson and a wake up call.

I should have backed it up on my computer, but on icloud I disagree because the phone is already a mobile computing devise which belongs to me, just like a computer, why would they have a right to lock it and my data? It is not as simple as you put it and not just a matter of "backing up the data" and I invite you to think about this some more because the data on icloud is stored on external servers and they (a third party) have access to it, which is intrusive.

Also, why would they automatically assume a security breach and only a security breach once you exhaust your passcode attempts? There are numerous reasons why people would exhaust passcodes; my screen cracking is one, then there's folks with memory loss and memory problems and then there's your kids who access your phone and keep dialing till they lock the phone etc.

Apr 11, 2023 10:59 AM in response to KiltedTim

Yes it is both a life lesson and a wake up call.

I should have backed it up on my computer, but on icloud I disagree because the phone is already a mobile computing devise which belongs to me, just like a computer, why would they have a right to lock it and my data? It is not as simple as you put it and not just a matter of "backing up the data" and I invite you to think about this some more because the data on icloud is stored on external servers and they (a third party) have access to it, which is intrusive.

Also, why would they automatically assume a security breach and only a security breach once you exhaust your passcode attempts? There are numerous reasons why people would exhaust passcodes; my screen cracking is one, then there's folks with memory loss and memory problems and then there's your kids who access your phone and keep dialing till they lock the phone etc.

Apr 11, 2023 11:15 AM in response to pogster

Yes, I accept responsibility, that is not in question. What is in question is whether apple accepts and take responsibility for their unreasonable regulations? Whether they have a right to lock a phone that I bought. I know my rights and responsibilities as a client and think apple should accept responsibility and revise some of these punitive regulations and policies that clearly were not thoroughly thought through. They need to have these open conversations about some of these blanket aspects of their products that don't work for all.

Also, have you thought about whether the Time machine app developers have access to your data? Perhaps, it's something I can look into. I've been forced to now look into better ways of backing up, because clearly devises, even computers, are prone to externalities

Data loss due to screen cracking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.