Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac does not give me the option of starting up in Safe Mode

I have a chip enabled 2022 Mac running Ventura 13.2.1.

Following the instructions for safe startup repeatedly, I once got an option for safe mode, but the button did not stay active so I clicked the alternative.

When I started up, I could not see anything different.

When I attempted to check using System Settings Software, there was no Boot mode setting to see whether it had started up in Safe mode.

Any advice? Thanks!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.12

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 5:46 PM

On an Apple Silicon Mac (M1 / M2) you hold the power button to load the startup options. Then you click once on the boot volume, usually 'Macintosh HD'. Then press and hold the Shift key and the Continue button beneath the Macintosh HD drive icon will change to Safe Mode. Then you can click it while still holding shift on the keyboard. If you let go of Shift it changes back to Continue.

You will see two login screens and you will note a Safe Boot text in red in the menu bar top-right.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2023 5:46 PM in response to lbandrew

On an Apple Silicon Mac (M1 / M2) you hold the power button to load the startup options. Then you click once on the boot volume, usually 'Macintosh HD'. Then press and hold the Shift key and the Continue button beneath the Macintosh HD drive icon will change to Safe Mode. Then you can click it while still holding shift on the keyboard. If you let go of Shift it changes back to Continue.

You will see two login screens and you will note a Safe Boot text in red in the menu bar top-right.

Mac does not give me the option of starting up in Safe Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.