Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Safari scrolling problem (Ventura 13.3.1)

I have problems with scrolling in Safari since the last update. When I use the down arrow scrolling cannot be stopped. This behavior does not occur with other browsers.

I'm using a M1 2020 MacBook Air.

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2023 1:52 PM

I had the same problem with the down arrow button but not the up arrow.

I read elsewhere that it is caused by the Evernote web clipper. I deactivated the Evernote extension and that solved the problem. (I had to reload each page after deactivating the extension.)

If you're having the same problem but you don't have the Evernote extension installed, try deactivating other extensions one by one.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2023 1:52 PM in response to Prosper29

I had the same problem with the down arrow button but not the up arrow.

I read elsewhere that it is caused by the Evernote web clipper. I deactivated the Evernote extension and that solved the problem. (I had to reload each page after deactivating the extension.)

If you're having the same problem but you don't have the Evernote extension installed, try deactivating other extensions one by one.

Apr 10, 2023 2:58 PM in response to Prosper29

Hello Prosper29,

With what you're describing, was this only occurring when using the down arrow specifically? Or was this also occurring when using a scrolling function on a mouse or the built-in trackpad?

If just the keyboard, is the keyboard third-party or is it the built-in keyboard? And also, does the down key work as expected in other applications?

As a test, we'd also recommend loading into safe mode and see if this also occurs there. Safe mode disabled third-party functions, so it can help us narrow down what's going on. Here's how to access safe mode: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

We look forward to hearing back from you!

Apr 11, 2023 10:41 AM in response to Prosper29

Hi Prosper29,

Thanks for trying that. Since the issue persisted while in safe mode, that indicates that a reinstall is needed: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

If the issue continues in safe mode

If the issue continues while in safe mode, or your Mac restarts several times and then shuts down while starting up in safe mode, you should reinstall macOS and make sure that your Apple software and third-party apps are up to date.

Before you start the reinstall process, it’s a good idea to have a fresh backup: Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

These are the steps to use to reinstall macOS on your Mac: How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Feel free to get back to us with any questions or problems you may have.

Cheers!

Apr 11, 2023 4:10 AM in response to ShannonM1

Hi, it only happens using the down arrow in Safari (Works fine with Firefox and...iCab)

The only way to scroll up or down is using the trackpad (click bottom left and pointer on the scrollbar) OR simple click before or after (over or under?) the scrollbar.

I only use the laptop keyboard.

Everything is fine with the other applications.

Apr 11, 2023 9:43 AM in response to Stevi_S

Safe mode :

I'll try to be accurate! (I'm only French 😏)

Same behavior ; when the down arrow is activated, the scrollbar goes all the way down the page. Then the up arrow does not work and the scrollbar can only be used by clicking over or under it, or by moving it up or down (hold-click the trackpad bottom left corner + pointer.)

It still works fine in Firefox.

Apr 15, 2023 1:49 AM in response to SnickZ.

I have reinstalled the OS. Nothing changed.

Safari scrollbar still acts weird. I forgot to say : once the scrollbar has "decided" to go all the way down, the up or down arrow do not work.

I'm afraid this has to do with the latest update (13.3.1 (22E261) and previous one)

Therefore, I'll be waiting for the next one.

Everything is ok with Ventura on my 2017 iMac.

May 11, 2023 9:05 AM in response to Prosper29

I'm having the same problem, on an iMac 2020 with Ventura 13.3.1(a).

If I press the up or down arrows in Safari, scrolling starts and then automatically continues until it scrolls to the very top or bottom of the page. It can be stopped by rolling the mouse wheel or scrolling with the trackpad. This doesn't happen in the Chrome browser or in any other application.

I would disagree with the advice given elsewhere on this page: don't reinstall your entire operating system! This is just a bug in Safari.

Nov 2, 2023 9:26 AM in response to Prosper29

I have the same problem with my Mac Mini 2020 Intel CPU running Sonoma, although the problem was there with Ventura as well. I will add that once the down arrow is pressed and the page scrolls to the bottom, neither the up nor the down arrows function after that on the same page. If you load another page the same behaviour is exhibited but only once and the arrow functions stop. I tried disabling the Evernote extension and nothing changed.

Nov 6, 2023 2:12 PM in response to Prosper29

What fixed it for me was enabling the filters of a Safari Extension, AdBlock Pro 10.4's 1. Ads, 2. Trackers, 3. Social, 4. Safety & 5. Others. Not sure when or why I disabled those. Also, I changed a setting for scrolling in System Preferences > General from "Jump to the next spot that's clicked" to "Jump to the next page." My down arrow finally started behaving as expected, and it seemed to fix the fidgetiness of the up arrow as well.

Safari scrolling problem (Ventura 13.3.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.