Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ipad not supported

when trying to pair iphone13 to ipad mini6, with bluetooth turned on both, same wi-fi, same ios version, start/restart, bluetooth on/off, they see each other but then says pairing unsuccessful . then ipad not supported. now what?

iPad mini 6, iPadOS 16

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 2:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 2:59 PM

Bluetooth pairing an iPhone and a Mac or iPad is not supported. 

If you are attempting to use Handoff/Continuity or AirDrop, that does involve Bluetooth but the devices are NOT paired; Bluetooth just needs to be on and the devices in range of each other. The following may help with Handoff/Continuity issues: Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Also see Share files between your Mac and Bluetooth devices - Apple Support

And see the information in: Bluetooth: Why can't I pair my iPhone or … - Apple Community

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2023 2:59 PM in response to lew202

Bluetooth pairing an iPhone and a Mac or iPad is not supported. 

If you are attempting to use Handoff/Continuity or AirDrop, that does involve Bluetooth but the devices are NOT paired; Bluetooth just needs to be on and the devices in range of each other. The following may help with Handoff/Continuity issues: Use Continuity to connect your Mac, iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch - Apple Support

Also see Share files between your Mac and Bluetooth devices - Apple Support

And see the information in: Bluetooth: Why can't I pair my iPhone or … - Apple Community

Apr 8, 2023 3:53 PM in response to lew202

What, specifically, are you attempting to pair with your iPad via a Bluetooth connection?

Whilst it is technically possible to do so, be aware that Bluetooth pairing between an iPad and iPhone is generally pointless. If your intention is to use Cellular Hotspot features of your iPhone, this link is optimally achieved using the native WiFi hotspot connection - this being a largely automated process. Hotspot connections over WiFi offer substantially greater throughput, range and reliability.

How to set up a Personal Hotspot on your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support

If you still wish to pair your iPad and iPhone over Bluetooth, you first need to manually enable the hotspot feature on your iPhone:

Settings > Mobile Data > Personal Hotspot > Allow Others to Join - set to ON

Next, Bluetooth for both the iPad and iPhone must be placed in Discovery mode:

Settings > Bluetooth (accessing this page will automatically place the device in Discovery mode)

Whilst both iPad and iPhone are in Discovery mode, you can mutually pair the devices.

Again, I must stress, unless you have an unusual “edge case”, pairing of iPad and iPhone over Bluetooth is largely pointless.

ipad not supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.