Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What happens if I click on an email with an infected attachment? (Read desc.)

Hi everyone, I know that malware can be installed by clicking on infected email attachments (files, websites, etc.), but what happens if I click on an email that has an infected attachment without actually clicking on the attachment? Do the hackers know when I clicked on their email? I don’t suspect my devices of malware or anything, I was just curious :)

iPhone SE, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 7:18 PM

what happens if I click on an email that has an infected attachment without actually clicking on the attachment?

Nothing really.

Do the hackers know when I clicked on their email?

They might not know when, but they will know that you have confirmed that your email address is valid, so more junk mail is on the way and your email address has been sold/added to other lists.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2023 7:18 PM in response to _a_sharp_minor_

what happens if I click on an email that has an infected attachment without actually clicking on the attachment?

Nothing really.

Do the hackers know when I clicked on their email?

They might not know when, but they will know that you have confirmed that your email address is valid, so more junk mail is on the way and your email address has been sold/added to other lists.

What happens if I click on an email with an infected attachment? (Read desc.)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.