Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen is too bright

When I turn the screen brightness down at night, it's still too bright and it hurts my eyes. the white parts are very bright and other parts for example the texts are fading but if the texts are white they also glow. How can I dim the brightness of the whole screen?

iPhone 12, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 7:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2023 8:14 PM

AK6UN Said:

"Screen is too bright: When I turn the screen brightness down at night, it's still too bright and it hurts my eyes. the white parts are very bright and other parts for example the texts are fading but if the texts are white they also glow. How can I dim the brightness of the whole screen?"

-------

Troubleshooting Screen Dimming:

A. Determine if it is Automatic:

Go Here: Use Dark Mode on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

As it Reads: "To turn Dark Mode on automatically at sunset or at a specific time, go to Settings > Display & Brightness and select Automatic. Then tap Options to set a schedule for Dark Mode."

B. Try Resetting the Home Screen:

Go Here: Move and organize apps on iPhone - Apple Support

Scroll to: Reset the Home Screen and Apps to their Original Layout

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: Reset
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2023 8:14 PM in response to AK6UN

AK6UN Said:

"Screen is too bright: When I turn the screen brightness down at night, it's still too bright and it hurts my eyes. the white parts are very bright and other parts for example the texts are fading but if the texts are white they also glow. How can I dim the brightness of the whole screen?"

-------

Troubleshooting Screen Dimming:

A. Determine if it is Automatic:

Go Here: Use Dark Mode on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

As it Reads: "To turn Dark Mode on automatically at sunset or at a specific time, go to Settings > Display & Brightness and select Automatic. Then tap Options to set a schedule for Dark Mode."

B. Try Resetting the Home Screen:

Go Here: Move and organize apps on iPhone - Apple Support

Scroll to: Reset the Home Screen and Apps to their Original Layout

1. Go to: Settings
  2. Tap: General
  3. Tap: Reset

Apr 8, 2023 8:54 PM in response to MEGA49R

MEGA49R Said:

-------

Q1. "from what I understand he’s not satisfied with how dim it gets: like others I know he might have sensitive eyes in the dark"

A1. Ask your options optometrist if they have any thoughts.

Q2. "so I suggested him to dim it all the way, then reduce white point, which is what that’s for."

A2. Recommend this to Apple:

Being not an option, recommend this to AppleApple won't get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is their customers prefer, and what features to include in models to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Feature Request" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that you want this to be an option and why. Include the URL of this thread.
  4. Proceed from there as necessary

Q3. "God Bless you TheLittles"

A3. Thank you.

Apr 8, 2023 9:45 PM in response to TheLittles

TheLittles said:

————————————————

Q2. "so I suggested him to dim it all the way, then reduce white point, which is what that’s for."

A2. Recommend this to Apple:

Being not an option, recommend this to AppleApple won't get back to you directly, but the more feedback they receive on this, the more they will know what is their customers prefer, and what features to include in models to come.

1. Go Here: Feedback - iPhone - Apple
  2. Select: "Feature Request" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Comment: that you want this to be an option and why. Include the URL of this thread.
  4. etc.

————————-

Ok… I’ll prove it

settings—> accessibility—> display & text size—> reduce white point

Go to your phones and try it

I already have… many times

if you want it quick…

settings—> accessibility—> accessibility shortcut(s)—> select shortcuts ya want

access shortcuts by triple clicking power button (aka “side button”)

this combined with dimming screen will do what AK6UN wants it to do

again GOD BLESS

Yours in haste,

MEGA49R

Apr 8, 2023 8:32 PM in response to MEGA49R

"Excuse me… that will reset his entire phone. All of it"

-------

Please Clarify Your Post::

So, do you want to do this at a certain time? To a certain app? Or just during the night? Use dark mode dringthe night. Is that not what you want yo do?

About Resetting the Home Screen:

High-Contrast may be reset. Take a screenshot of each Home Screen, and then place it all back to where it needs to be: Take a Screenshot on your iPhone - Apple Support

Apr 8, 2023 8:42 PM in response to TheLittles

@ TheLittles

from what I understand he’s not satisfied with how dim it gets

like others I know he might have sensitive eyes in the dark

so I suggested him to dim it all the way, then reduce white point, which is what that’s for.

With “reduce white point” on it can get so dim it looks off!

God Bless you TheLittles

Screen is too bright

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.