Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files not opening after update

After last Ventura update (Versão 13.3.1 (22E261)) some of my files are not opening when clicked in Finder, instead the program opens (minimized) but not the file.

When I double click a certain PDF, for example, the Preview will launch, but minimized to the dock, but not the file. Other pdf, in the same folder will open normally. If I open the Preview, and use the menu to locate the file to open, it works.

I'm having said problem with Ms Word files as well.

MacBook Pro 13″

Posted on Apr 9, 2023 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2023 6:26 AM

Are the files on some cloud service? Do they include non-ASCII characters in the file name?

There is a known issue related to characters that have more than one Unicode representation. Characters like ü, and other accented characters may be represented in more than one way and though they look identical the name written in one way will not be seen as the same thing.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2023 6:26 AM in response to vfontanela

Are the files on some cloud service? Do they include non-ASCII characters in the file name?

There is a known issue related to characters that have more than one Unicode representation. Characters like ü, and other accented characters may be represented in more than one way and though they look identical the name written in one way will not be seen as the same thing.

Apr 9, 2023 6:39 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Wow, thank you so much for your insight.

It almost summarizes my problem:

Most of the time the problem occurred I was dealing with OneDrive and Google Drive through Finder.

Also, file names included accented characters.

Except one particular pdf, which was offline, I opened it inside Preview, printed to another PDF, with the same name, and it opened like a charm. Could be the file.

Thank you again!

Files not opening after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.