Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I used my older apple watch charger on a trip. Since then my apple watch 8 does not charge reliably when I use my usb c charger. Is there a fix?

I used my older apple watch charger on a trip. Since then my apple watch 8 does not charge reliably when I use my usb c charger. Is there a fix?

Apple Watch Series 8

Posted on Apr 9, 2023 11:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 9, 2023 2:54 PM

It is extremely unlikely your use of a different charger has caused a problem. The unreliable charging is an annoying coincidence. Both the older USB charger and the new USB-C charger are compatible, and they should be interchangeable in practical use, the only difference is that the USB-C charger can perform high speed charging. If you are seeing poor performance from the USB-C charger it is likely to be a hardware problem (damage?) with the charging accessories.

Inspect your charging hardware carefully, and be alert for any damage on the cable between the power adapter and the magnetic puck (also use your fingers and *feel* for any irregularity in the cable). If you have more than one power adapter then test by substitution. Also I suggest you try a different AC poser socket just in case there is a problem.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 9, 2023 2:54 PM in response to bigspottedbird

It is extremely unlikely your use of a different charger has caused a problem. The unreliable charging is an annoying coincidence. Both the older USB charger and the new USB-C charger are compatible, and they should be interchangeable in practical use, the only difference is that the USB-C charger can perform high speed charging. If you are seeing poor performance from the USB-C charger it is likely to be a hardware problem (damage?) with the charging accessories.

Inspect your charging hardware carefully, and be alert for any damage on the cable between the power adapter and the magnetic puck (also use your fingers and *feel* for any irregularity in the cable). If you have more than one power adapter then test by substitution. Also I suggest you try a different AC poser socket just in case there is a problem.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.