Apple ID is incorrect ONLY in the app store, and not anywhere else. I can't update or change apps?

Hi, I have a problem that I can't figure out. I tried to find the menu a previous poster used but can't find it on my ipad.

Under my user and Apple ID the correct email is used, as is everywhere else. Except, on the apple store if I try to update an app it brings up the "sign in to the apple store" with the wrong email address. This is my work email but not one I've ever used for apple ID. I've signed in and out of the apple store, and in an out of the cloud under Settings menu, and still this email address appears. My only choice is to do "forgot password", which I have actually tried but still to no avail.

I can't update apps so I have many apps that no longer work because I can't update them. I'm stuck!

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Personal Information]

iPad Air, iPadOS 14

Posted on Apr 9, 2023 2:13 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Apr 28, 2023 10:55 AM in response to AppstoreNotSignIn

AppstoreNotSignIn wrote:

Did you solve the App Store problem. I am also stuck in same problem. Help

Delete the app, and re-download it. This if the particular app was acquired from another Apple ID.

If the whole macOS install is associated with a different Apple ID, back up, create a second backup, erase and re-install, and migrate in your contents.

Details: Erase and reinstall macOS - Apple Support

Apr 28, 2023 11:30 AM in response to AppstoreNotSignIn

AppstoreNotSignIn wrote:

Apple ID is incorrect ONLY in the app store, and not anywhere else. I can't update or change apps?

Apple does not permit migrating apps among Apple IDs.

The Apple ID is tied to the ID used to purchase and download the apps, and new downloads by the Apple ID logged into iCloud.

This case usually happens when a device was not reset for a new user, or when some other user signs into the App Store from their Apple ID to first download an app.

Usual fix is to delete the app, and re-download.

If it’s the whole macOS or iPhone or iPad, that’s a reset and reload.

Jun 20, 2023 9:01 AM in response to christin1111

christin1111 wrote:

But if I delete the apps and install them with my new Apple ID will all data be deleted from them?

I’m guessing you have apps installed associated with a mixture of Apple IDs.

How to migrate app data is going to be app-specific.

Some of them are official government apps and have documents that I can’t delete

Those apps can probably be re-downloaded from the app store, but you’ll want to check for the app in the app store before deleting the local copy.

The data transfer might be (probably is) nothing other than the re-download if the app uses iCloud for the app-specific data, and specifically iCloud storage associated with an Apple ID you know the credentials for.

If the app stores its data locally within the app bundle—this is far less common, but some apps do weird things — then maybe you can transfer the data via AirDrop or via email or to local storage on the iPhone or iPad, or whatever other document-sharing features the particular app(s) supports to get the data exported out of the local app bundle. Again, this is far less common. Most of the time, it’s delete-and-redownload.

Storing the data in iCloud is far and away the most common approach, and doesn’t involve any extra transfer steps, once the app is redownloaded using the “correct” Apple ID.

I’m stuck and can’t update and can’t get in anymore

Most likely, you will need to delete the particular app(s) you’re encountering issues with, and re-download the app(s) from the app store. This because the app was originally acquired with an Apple ID you no longer have access to. And how you can migrate the data depends on the particular apps involved. But in the vast majority of cases, the app data is stored in the iCloud storage you’re using (associated with your Apple ID and not with this apparently-lost Apple ID), or is stored on the app’s own servers, and doesn’t need to be migrated.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.