Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Charging problems

I have a universal multi-socket charger but I think the voltage is too low for the iPad because it takes half a day to charge it, the iPad doesn't charge as it should (wrong charge detection or damage to cables, circuits or who knows what) or the battery has deteriorated too much (but I would rule that out because it's not like the iPad shuts down in less than 2 hours). Before updating iOS Home button wasn't working and while charging battery % was shown, after upgrading iOS Home button now works (well, sometimes fails to detect my click, maybe has been damaged or super-pressed by previous owner till damaging it 🤷) but while charging battery % now isn't shown and moreover the iPad turns on by itself 😱👻. Should I buy a new charger? This is the actual charger:

Model: LDT-12E<IC>

Input: AC 110-140V, 50-60 Hz/ 0.1A

Output: DC 5V ± 0.5V, 1000mA ± 50mA

This is the voltage of the iPad:

5.1V – 2.1A max

Posted on Apr 9, 2023 6:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 3:26 AM

The stated specifications of your third-party Power Adapter clearly illustrates that the Power Adapter is unsuitable for your iPad. It’s maximum power output is ~5W (i.e., 1.0A @5V)

Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W (i.e, 2.4A @5V) or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters, often intended to charge mobile phones, are inadequate to reliably charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

Also be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1.0A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

You would be best advised to replace it with an Apple Power Adapter that is intended to charge an iPad. Cheap third-party Power Adapters are false economy; many are unsuitable, or may cause damage to your iPad.

Modern Power Adapters have switched to using a USB-C connection. As such, depending upon your iPad model, you will also need an appropriate certified charging cable.

If your iPad has a Lightning connector, you will require a USB-C to Lightning cable:

• USB-C to Lightning Cable (1m)

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MM0A3ZM/A

If you have a recent model of iPad with a USB-C connector, you’ll require a USB-C to USB-C cable:

• USB-C Charge Cable (1m)

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MQKJ3ZM/A

Various Apple Power Adapters are available for iPad. Most models now ship with a 20W USB-C Power Adapter - this being suitable for all models of iPad. As these vary by country/region, I’ll not attempt to list the model number here - but can be found in the Accessories section of Apple’s online Store. A physical Apple Store will also assist with identifying the correct Power Adapter for your market.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2023 3:26 AM in response to LucaPavan

The stated specifications of your third-party Power Adapter clearly illustrates that the Power Adapter is unsuitable for your iPad. It’s maximum power output is ~5W (i.e., 1.0A @5V)

Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W (i.e, 2.4A @5V) or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters, often intended to charge mobile phones, are inadequate to reliably charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

Also be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1.0A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

You would be best advised to replace it with an Apple Power Adapter that is intended to charge an iPad. Cheap third-party Power Adapters are false economy; many are unsuitable, or may cause damage to your iPad.

Modern Power Adapters have switched to using a USB-C connection. As such, depending upon your iPad model, you will also need an appropriate certified charging cable.

If your iPad has a Lightning connector, you will require a USB-C to Lightning cable:

• USB-C to Lightning Cable (1m)

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MM0A3ZM/A

If you have a recent model of iPad with a USB-C connector, you’ll require a USB-C to USB-C cable:

• USB-C Charge Cable (1m)

https://store.apple.com/xc/product/MQKJ3ZM/A

Various Apple Power Adapters are available for iPad. Most models now ship with a 20W USB-C Power Adapter - this being suitable for all models of iPad. As these vary by country/region, I’ll not attempt to list the model number here - but can be found in the Accessories section of Apple’s online Store. A physical Apple Store will also assist with identifying the correct Power Adapter for your market.

Apr 9, 2023 10:00 PM in response to LucaPavan

Those multi socketed universal chargers are made by third party manufacturers and most of them are not even approved by Apple. Most often their voltage and amp ratings are distributed among the various ports and therefore resulting as a fraction of the total amps per port.

I recommend that you purchase an Apple made charger for your iPad and try charging with it.

Axel F.

Apr 13, 2023 8:48 AM in response to LotusPilot

You guessed my intention, I was really thinking to charge it while using my laptop (Asus K52N) 😄 and later when I asked Asus team about USB ports voltage they confirmed the 5V output but, as Axel Foley said, the output may be divided among all the 10 cables so nothing will change 🤷. Also because some time ago I tried with the adapter of my tablet Alcatel PIXI 4 that has the same voltage and even that took half a day.

Charging problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.