iMac Extended Display

Hi, I recently purchased an iMac 24-inch, M1, 2021, and would like to use my old iMac 27-inch, late 2023 as a secondary display. Both are running Ventura 13.3.1. As suggested in a YT video, I first purchased an Apple Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and an Apple Thunderbolt Cable (2.0 m) to connect both computers. I hit the command F2 key on the secondary display keyboard (27"). Nothing happened. It didn't work.

I removed the cables. I then went into system settings>Displays and chose the 24" as the main display and the 27" as the extended display. It worked, but the resolution is horrible; it's blurry and lags. Any advice on how to fix this or is there even a solution?

Btw, I also purchased a Luna Display adapter (suggested by a community member here) in hopes of having better luck. The resolution was slightly better, but for $130 I don't think it's worth having a minimum improvement and returning it.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 24″

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 7:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2023 12:13 PM

No can do.

Although the Late 2013 iMac could act as a monitor some older Macs, your iMac M1 is too new to be the video source for the iMac. The very limited hardware and OS requirements of Target Display Mode (TDM) are laid out in this Apple document

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Apple started the deprecation of TDM in Late 2014 and threw the last shovel of dirt in its face in early 2020. As Dr McCoys said:

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2023 12:13 PM in response to VDon75

No can do.

Although the Late 2013 iMac could act as a monitor some older Macs, your iMac M1 is too new to be the video source for the iMac. The very limited hardware and OS requirements of Target Display Mode (TDM) are laid out in this Apple document

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Apple started the deprecation of TDM in Late 2014 and threw the last shovel of dirt in its face in early 2020. As Dr McCoys said:

iMac Extended Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.