Apple Music very slow on W10 PC

I'm getting very long load times for screens in Apple Music on my PC running Windows 10. Sometimes they don't load at all. This started after the latest iTunes update (12.12.8.2). Is anyone else having this problem on their PC?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 12:54 PM

11 replies

Apr 21, 2023 7:53 PM in response to John Oldham

Having the same issue. Spent more than 3 hours over two days with Apple Support who could not find any issues. Has anything improved? I still have significant delays with Apple Music and iTunes no longer seems to connect at all to the iTunes store. (I uninstalled the last Windows update just in case. Problems with Apple Music access started on April 20 for me. Prior to that I had no issues of which I was aware.)

Apr 22, 2023 1:59 PM in response to FreudianKnot

Thx for responding. AM is still slow enough to make a snail frantic with impatience. In a possibly related issue, I cannot log in to iCloud for Windows. It times out with an error message after i put in pw and auth code. The Store, Radio and Account front ends come up normally but are slow after that. Apple Music is the worst. I timed with a stopwatch from click to load. The FASTEST time was over 5 minutes. There is a shorter delay when I click a song to play, and a similar delay before the next song plays.

I'm curious as to what Apple Support had you try. If you don't mind could you list what they had you try? Did they have a main suspect? Thanks.

Apr 25, 2023 8:21 AM in response to John Oldham

Mine was running slow only after I paid for an Apple Music subscription. It seems iTunes wants to use my Wi-Fi adapter even when the computer is on an Ethernet connection.

This might be the Sharing option using Bonjour.exe for which I am getting errors in the Event Viewer like the one shown below.

Currently, I have disabled my Wi-Fi adapter and things have picked up quite a bit.

Local Hostname Light.local already in use; will try Light-2.local instead

Windows 11 Desktop

Apr 26, 2023 8:58 AM in response to John Oldham

My previous response regarding Bonjour helped some but problem returned.

I discovered I could do and soft reset on my Router, which required re-entering the networks. After that, iTunes worked normally, for a while.

I also discovered, I could create a guest network on my router and that worked.

I do believe it is related to the Router or at least the internet access. Currently, I am running with IPv6 disabled since it seems to cause problems. I was getting constant reconnects on the IPv6 TCP connections.

If you don't have a good and stable internet connection, you will see problems like we are both seeing.

May 2, 2023 9:08 AM in response to John Oldham

I found a workaround for Windows. This will leave IPv6 available but remove the priority Windows gives it. It is a Registry change for Advanced Users, as the link implies.

Go to the site below and follow the instructions for giving IPv4 preference over IPv6.

Configure IPv6 for advanced users - Windows Server | Microsoft Learn

If you follow the instructions, I suggest you make note of the process so you can reverse it in the future, if that becomes necessary.

Apple Music very slow on W10 PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.