Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo Library Won’t Load

when i try to open the photos app on my macbook air, i’m greeted with “The library could not be opened” prompt, and when i click “open other” and select my photos library, i’m right back to where i started. how do i fix this?

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 9:43 AM

Try the following in order as needed:

1 - laugh the library with the Option+Command keys held down to repair the library. If not go to #2.

2 - As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread.

If the test library opens then try your original library again.

3 - Create and log into a new, basic, admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac, repeat step #1 to see if the problem persists. This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide.

Note:  do not launch any 3rd party apps in the account so as to not install any of the supporting files that most create.

If the problem isn't present then your original account has software installed that is causing the problem.  

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2023 9:43 AM in response to daschel

Try the following in order as needed:

1 - laugh the library with the Option+Command keys held down to repair the library. If not go to #2.

2 - As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread.

If the test library opens then try your original library again.

3 - Create and log into a new, basic, admin user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac, repeat step #1 to see if the problem persists. This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide.

Note:  do not launch any 3rd party apps in the account so as to not install any of the supporting files that most create.

If the problem isn't present then your original account has software installed that is causing the problem.  

Photo Library Won’t Load

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.