Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Pros / Cons of setting up a 5GHz network in Airport Utility Wireless Option

The Question: My all-AirPort Extreme network works fine (Xfinity, ~300mbps down, 25mbps up on an "Up to 800mbps" plan).

Might using 5GHz lanes help get more WiFi speed?

The Setup:

My cable internet comes in through a Motorola MB7621 modem and is router'ed into the house by a latest generation AirPort Extreme ('mothership'). Two other AirPort Extremes are Bridged to the mothership via Ethernet and set to create their own networks of same name and credentials. There is another AirPort Extreme in the house that is set to 'extend' the network wirelessly (I wanted to ethernet it in but can't get a cable to that room, darn it).

Using the default setup (e.g. not modifying Wireless Options) I can get around 300mbps wifi download speed anywhere in the house. This is generally fine.

I recently had to replace the mothership device with a new-to-me unit ('mothership II', eBay, $44!) and now I am wondering about whether creating and selecting discrete 5GHz networks could help my WiFi speed, and if yes is there anything else I have to do to see improvement?

Spoiler: I tried it - specifically checking the 5GHz box in the 3 AirPort Extremes that are creating their own networks then restarting the whole system, including the modem.

No apparent speed change (still between 315-333Mbps down, 25Mbps up).

My operating theory:

My inclination is to customize as little as possible while milking every bit of bandwidth out of my ancient gear.

My reasoning for sticking with this ancient gear is that it works and I understand it so in the few-and-far-between times that it doesn't work, the AirPort Utility and its ever-present approachability is there for me in a way I can remember and/or intuit quickly and without needing to find a manual, a forum, or vendor tech support.

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't go buy really cool but so overkill Ubiquiti gear or the 'that seems like it would almost do for $400 what my current setup does for free (and without the Google/Amazon privacy tax)' mesh networking solutions.

That said, it would be cool to figure out a way to eek out all the speed my beloved AirPort gear can give me.

I suspect it's mostly about the "extend my network" device dragging speeds down, but I don't know and figure you guys might. :-)

Thanks in advance for any insights.

AirPort Extreme

Posted on Apr 10, 2023 8:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2023 10:02 AM

thomas178 wrote:

In theory, the 5 GHz network, using 80 MHz-wide channels will provide network clients (that also support 5 GHz) with the best potential bandwidth on your local network. The best bandwidth will be achieved between the base station and the clients in the same room, as the 5 GHz signal has a much more difficult time penetrating solid objects ... like walls.

However, it will do nothing to increase the download/upload bandwidth of your Internet connection. That would be controlled by your ISP and the current Internet conditions.

There is another AirPort Extreme in the house that is set to 'extend' the network wirelessly (I wanted to ethernet it in but can't get a cable to that room, darn it).

... and, as you may already suspect, this would be the "weak link" in your current network setup. One potential workaround, but adds a bit of complexity, would be to use a pair of powerline adapters to create a pseudo Ethernet network between your mothership & this base station. No guarantee that it would improve things significantly, but may be worth a try. If you do decide to give it a go, purchase them from a vendor who has a good return policy should they not work out.

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't go buy really cool but so overkill Ubiquiti gear

I couldn't agree more ... except mine did break and I did go with the Ubiquiti UniFi line to replace it. ;) Night & day difference in capability, but does come with a bit of a learning curve. Regardless, no regrets after running with this equipment for over three years now. The UniFi line does primarily rely on an Ethernet backbone ... but does offer some meshing capability. Ubiquiti does offer a complete mesh solution, as well.

Bob has already provided you with an excellent reply which I would second without hesitation. FWIW, I still have a single 802.11ac Time Capsule running in my setup. Don't use it much for Time Machine anymore; I use a Synology NAS for that now ... but it still "keeps ticking (old Timex adage)" so I keep it around for simple file server services.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2023 10:02 AM in response to thomas178

thomas178 wrote:

In theory, the 5 GHz network, using 80 MHz-wide channels will provide network clients (that also support 5 GHz) with the best potential bandwidth on your local network. The best bandwidth will be achieved between the base station and the clients in the same room, as the 5 GHz signal has a much more difficult time penetrating solid objects ... like walls.

However, it will do nothing to increase the download/upload bandwidth of your Internet connection. That would be controlled by your ISP and the current Internet conditions.

There is another AirPort Extreme in the house that is set to 'extend' the network wirelessly (I wanted to ethernet it in but can't get a cable to that room, darn it).

... and, as you may already suspect, this would be the "weak link" in your current network setup. One potential workaround, but adds a bit of complexity, would be to use a pair of powerline adapters to create a pseudo Ethernet network between your mothership & this base station. No guarantee that it would improve things significantly, but may be worth a try. If you do decide to give it a go, purchase them from a vendor who has a good return policy should they not work out.

In other words, if it ain't broke, don't go buy really cool but so overkill Ubiquiti gear

I couldn't agree more ... except mine did break and I did go with the Ubiquiti UniFi line to replace it. ;) Night & day difference in capability, but does come with a bit of a learning curve. Regardless, no regrets after running with this equipment for over three years now. The UniFi line does primarily rely on an Ethernet backbone ... but does offer some meshing capability. Ubiquiti does offer a complete mesh solution, as well.

Bob has already provided you with an excellent reply which I would second without hesitation. FWIW, I still have a single 802.11ac Time Capsule running in my setup. Don't use it much for Time Machine anymore; I use a Synology NAS for that now ... but it still "keeps ticking (old Timex adage)" so I keep it around for simple file server services.

Apr 11, 2023 4:38 AM in response to thomas178

You must have a lot of time on your hands.

Are all of your Wi-Fi devices.....computers, phones, accessories, etc...... 5 GHz capable?

If yes, why not simply turn off the 2.4 GHz network on all the AirPorts and you will have a big 5 GHz network, with the fastest speed capability possible.

Otherwise, if you set up 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks using different wireless network names, you have to manually choose which network that you want to use from each Wi-Fi device. That's a lot of work, but if you have the time, it is an option.

Users will get the best results with the least amount of effort if they simply run the AirPorts as Apple intended and recommends in default mode as a dual band 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz network. Then, devices will automatically connect to the best signal quality based on their distance from the AirPort.

Isn't that really what you are trying to accomplish? I've run my network with 3 AirPorts this way for many years. It's a case of leave well enough alone.

A faster signal is not necessarily a better signal. It might have more noise and interference present than the 2.4 GHz connection at a given point, which in effect slows down the signal quality, even though a simple speed check says that it is a faster connection. In other words, there is far more to a Wi-Fi signal quality than just speed.

You are losing half of the potential speed capability on your network in the jump from Mothership to LAX. The best thing that you could do at this time is spend the time....(and money, if needed).....to run an Ethernet cable.

In the case of the AirPorts, simple is best. But.....this is hard to accept for the guys that are constantly tempted to tinker with their networks in a constant search for the holy grail.

Apr 18, 2023 10:51 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks so much for validating my guesses, Bob. Your wisdom is much appreciated.

If I had “a lot of time on my hands,” I would dive into gear with more capabilities (and speed) but with steeper learning curve (aka time commitment) to configure. 🙄

I have some printers that are still on the 2.4 bandwidth, so I will stick with the default settings on the AirPort Extremes and figure out a way to run a wire to the LAX base station to eliminate my weak link.

Apr 18, 2023 11:09 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the very helpful explanation of the pros/cons of 5Ghz, Tesserax! My house isn’t huge, but it’s old so the walls are lath and plaster, which seems to be more signal-blocking than sheet rock (hence the need for 4 base stations).

My internet plan says I can get “up to 800 MHz” down and my cable provider swears people in my neighborhood do regularly approach this speed, so my question about increasing up/down speed is in relation to the ~300 MHz I see now in the SpeedTest apps and iStatPro monitoring on my Macs. I am pretty confident that you and Bob are spot-on pointing to the ‘extended’ base station as my weak link, so I’m going to slowly figure out a way to remedy that, as time and/or money are available.

I tried the Powerline route right when we got the house - it was a bust. Old house stuff.

I also tried a Ubiquiti setup in the beginning but didn’t have the budget to get enough gear to cover all the areas needing coverage.

Long live the AirPort Extremes!

(but I know where to find you when they die and I dive into Ubiquiti! :-)

Apr 18, 2023 5:48 PM in response to thomas178

If mothership II is acting as your main DHCP and NAT router for the network, 325-350 Mbps is about the top end limit for the Internet speed capabilities of the AirPort Extreme.

This assumes that your modem is capable of delivering these speeds.

Now, if your modem is capable.....of say....800 Mbps then you are going lose 450-475 Mbps because of the limitations of the AirPort Extreme.

If you know the make and model number of your modem, we can check on some of the specifications of the product to see where things stand.

Pros / Cons of setting up a 5GHz network in Airport Utility Wireless Option

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.