Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost password for document password protected in keychain

I have been trying to recover or reset a password for a document in pages - have spoken to numerous Apple Help people, have searched everywhere online, and all I find is that if you can't remember your password, then your file/document is lost to you forever.

I can't just say "oh well, all information in this file from 1998 to present (25 years of work!) is permanently lost. PLEASE someone in the Apple Support community must be experienced enough to offer a workaround solution..... You will have good karma forever if you can find a working solution.

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 11, 2023 9:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2023 12:04 PM

When you set a password on a Pages document, you will see this dialog:

See that blue check box? That is your only hope that Pages will query the keychain on the original Mac and user account to automatically fetch the password and open the document for you. If you didn't choose to let the keychain keep that password for you, then your only option to open the document is now relegated to memory recall or a written list of passwords. If you did check that box, you need to take the document to the same Mac and user account where the password was created, and hope it is the same keychain data. That may just open the document for you.

Even if you had selected the Remember this password in my keychain, it is only valid for the current user account on the original Mac where it was set. Attempt to open that password protected Pages doc on another or same version of macOS with the identical user account, and as no keychain assistance is shared, it will prompt you for the password.

I just tested the last paragraph between identical users and operating systems (Ventura 13.3.1) and the other Mac threw a password prompt because the keychain is not shared from the first Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2023 12:04 PM in response to 2G4ever

When you set a password on a Pages document, you will see this dialog:

See that blue check box? That is your only hope that Pages will query the keychain on the original Mac and user account to automatically fetch the password and open the document for you. If you didn't choose to let the keychain keep that password for you, then your only option to open the document is now relegated to memory recall or a written list of passwords. If you did check that box, you need to take the document to the same Mac and user account where the password was created, and hope it is the same keychain data. That may just open the document for you.

Even if you had selected the Remember this password in my keychain, it is only valid for the current user account on the original Mac where it was set. Attempt to open that password protected Pages doc on another or same version of macOS with the identical user account, and as no keychain assistance is shared, it will prompt you for the password.

I just tested the last paragraph between identical users and operating systems (Ventura 13.3.1) and the other Mac threw a password prompt because the keychain is not shared from the first Mac.

Apr 12, 2023 10:16 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi & thank you for the input. I did get my password locked files opened and then made sure before I closed each document (there were 5, all with the same forgotten password) that I removed the password option in keychain - what I ended up doing was get someone that knew how to rewrite or rework the code temporarily and break the password (?) for the documents I needed, then each document was edited with "select all' and then pasted to a new page document, copied to another file, made sure there was no password associated with each of the newly created documents. Then everything was restored to it's original code. And I don't know how he did it, but at least it's done. I definitely recommend anyone locking a document in keychain to WRITE DOWN THE PASSWORD somewhere. Word has a fairly simple way to recover a password protected file, but Mac does not, which is should....and I did use apple support and several divisions tried to help me, but they didn't have a workaround to offer, although they were really nice and tried to help over a period of two days.... also, it's a good idea to use the same password for all the files you want locked. (the document that I absolutely had to recover was a 790 page book that I was editing, and then supporting documents for references, character outlines, etc.) I had 3/4 of the book on a thumbdrive, but needed the other 1/4 of the book that had been updated and that I had not updated on the thumdrive. Big mess. But now solved.

lost password for document password protected in keychain

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.