MLB App Used 30GB of data in 12 hours?!

I used the MLB app on cellular data to look up some stats, then the app was in the background (with background refresh off). The next morning I found it had used close to 30GB of cellular data, 450MB every 10 minutes or so with some 135MB entries as well, over a 12-hour period 6pm-6am. From 9pm on I was back home, on wifi, and not using my phone at all (13 Mini with IOS 16.3.1). I called AT&T since it had basically used all our monthly data, they had no idea how it would happen. A few hours later when at a restaurant I went to use an app and then found MLB used another 130MB of data. Deleted the app; no problems since.

How is this possible? Has anyone else ever had this kind of an issue with an app? I'd think Major League Baseball could be trusted, but maybe not?

iPhone 13 mini

Posted on Apr 11, 2023 10:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2023 10:24 AM

If you are experiencing any difficulty with third-party apps or a specific website then please contact the app developer or site publisher/host directly. Here is how

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2023 10:24 AM in response to afmarsh

If you are experiencing any difficulty with third-party apps or a specific website then please contact the app developer or site publisher/host directly. Here is how

May 21, 2023 8:13 AM in response to afmarsh

MLB App embedded malware?

Yesterday I got an email from Xfinity that we'd used 75% of our 1TB/month data limit for Internet access. In a typical month, we use at most 200GB, so this was just a little bit disturbing. Checking our WiFi router, my wife's iPad had burned through over 600GB of data (download) in a single week. And the data usage looked exponential. (She plays a lot of battery hungry games so she leaves the thing plugged in all the time. Well, what can I do?) When I checked the iPad's battery usage, I can see that MLB is running in the background, even though background App refresh is disabled.

Oh, I saw that before, when iOS 16 came out, *everything* was running amok in the background, burning through a charge in a few days. A hard reset *might* have solved that problem, you never know with Apple, so I hard reset the iPad. Saturday night, my wife watched a baseball game, went to bed after 9pm, but she left the MLB App in the background. Sure enough, MLB ran in the background, using Internet data, until our WiFi router rebooted (and lost sync with the cable modem) after 3am.

There is something seriously wrong with the MLB App. I don't know if it's malware or something else.

Here is Internet usage during the week. She works at least 8 hours a day, so she's not watching baseball on her iPad.

This is battery usage for the last 24 hours (Saturday morning). Why is MLB running in the background, even though background App refresh is DISABLED? And in the middle of the night.

For the last 10 days, MLB had run over 160 hours in the background?

I thought the problem was resolved and told her to go ahead and watch her game Saturday night. She closed the feed and went to bed just after 9pm, but left the MLB App in the background, and who burned through more than 20GB of data until the WiFi router reset and lost sync just after 3am? MLB, almost 7 hours in the background. (Usage appears as SSL data).

At this point, I'm going to remove the App from her iPad until our Internet data resets on June 1st. And then I'm going to make sure she kills the App after she finishes watching the game.

If I can, I'll send a link to this post to the MLB developer. Until then, afmarsh, it's not you! It's the MLB App!

MLB App Used 30GB of data in 12 hours?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.