Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Photos not syncing or stuck

Hi friends, I entered the apple ecosystem last month and just bought the iCloud+ service.

I have a lot of pictures and videos on my phone, some are in RAW mode using the 14pro, others are live etc... More precisely, there are 754 pictures and 167 videos in total.

I started the photos sync yesterday, and since I woke up like 5 hours ago, the syncing is kinda stuck.

The following image shows the total of files in my phone:

And since I woke up, it is still showing that 375 files are still being synced to iCloud, although in the next picture you can see that all of them are in the "in iCloud" field:

In total, these files were more than 60gb in storage size, and you can see that it is only 23gb in iCloud, while stating that all of them are already in the cloud.

Now, in the next picture you can see that there is only 9gb of photo files in my phone:

Isn't it weird? Because it was 60gb, and in iCloud there are only 23gb while there are 9gb in my phone... something doesn't seem right.

And last but not least, today morning all those 60gb were being accounted in my local iphone storage instead of only 9gb, and then I restarted the phone. After that, the photo files storage was 9gb and there was 40gb of "System Data". Now there are only 14gb, look at this:

What am I missing here? Did I do something wrong? What should I do to finally have every photo and video synced to icloud?

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 11, 2023 10:39 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 12, 2023 3:34 PM in response to joaocasarin

Hi there joaocasarin,

Thank you for posting to Apple Support Communities.

We understand you have a question about iCloud Photos. We're happy to help.

From your first screen shot, iCloud Photos is still in the process of syncing photos between your iPhone and iCloud. There are 375 items in the process of syncing.

.According to this Apple Support article: Set up and use iCloud Photos - Apple Support

"If you have a large collection of photos and videos, your upload might take more time than usual."

Storage will fluctuate on your iPhone while Photos app is in the process of syncing and optimizing your local library. It's best to keep the iPhone connected to Wi-Fi, locked, and charged while the process completes.

If you have additional questions once the sync process is complete, we recommend getting in touch with Apple Support: Apple Support

Take care.

Apr 13, 2023 7:35 AM in response to joaocasarin

Hello joaocasarin,

Since your iPhone is still uploading 300+ photos and videos to iCloud, the amount of storage being used in iCloud should increase until this process is complete. In order for the upload to complete, ensure you are following the recommendations we previously provided.

If you need any more assistance with iCloud Photos, this article can resolve most issues you might run into: Get help with iCloud Photos

Cheers!

Apr 13, 2023 7:06 AM in response to Matthew_J5

hi Matthew, thanks for replying.

Yeah, I supposed what you said, but what's weird is that after some time the photos app said everything was synced, no more 375 files being synced, but after a few hours it started saying it again like "307 files syncing"... why does that happen?

Still, I am still wondering what happened, because it was 60gb in total of photos/videos, and now it is only 23gb.

iCloud Photos not syncing or stuck

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.