Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power down on full power

My Ipad Air model A1474 has been shutting down and powering off with a full battery. This only happens when the Ipad is not plugged in. After a minute or two it will power off. I turn it back on and it shows an empty battery with the flashing red sliver. I plug it in and it still shows the dead battery symbol. I power it on immediately after this and it shows a 100%. Here are the specs...

Ipad Air

model A1474

Software version - 12.5.7

Any thoughts on what's going on and how to fix it? Or is it time to send it to the Apple graveyard?

Thanks!

iPad Air

Posted on Apr 11, 2023 2:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2023 3:50 PM

The symptoms that you describe suggest a failing/failed battery. 

Are you able to use the iPad while remaining connected to your Power Adapter? If yes, while monitoring the indicated battery state, disconnect the Power Adapter; if the indicated battery state suddenly falls, or the iPad shuts-off, this test demonstrates the iPad battery having reached the end of its usable life.

As already commented by sberman, due to its age, the iPad Air is classified by Apple as a “vintage” device. Unlike obsolete products that are entirely out of support, vintage items remain supported while parts remain available:

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

However, you may wish to consider that the cost of a battery replacement may be uneconomic - given the limited utility of older devices.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 11, 2023 3:50 PM in response to pfehringer

The symptoms that you describe suggest a failing/failed battery. 

Are you able to use the iPad while remaining connected to your Power Adapter? If yes, while monitoring the indicated battery state, disconnect the Power Adapter; if the indicated battery state suddenly falls, or the iPad shuts-off, this test demonstrates the iPad battery having reached the end of its usable life.

As already commented by sberman, due to its age, the iPad Air is classified by Apple as a “vintage” device. Unlike obsolete products that are entirely out of support, vintage items remain supported while parts remain available:

Obtaining service for your Apple product after an expired warranty - Apple Support

However, you may wish to consider that the cost of a battery replacement may be uneconomic - given the limited utility of older devices.

Apr 12, 2023 6:16 AM in response to pfehringer

You are very welcome.

Before consigning your iPad for recycling, you might be well advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively and perhaps easier, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad - and should you choose to do so, investigate availability of a replacement battery:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Apr 12, 2023 5:48 AM in response to LotusPilot

Thanks for the quick replies. The device works fine and is usable while plugged in. I did as LotusPilot said and pulled the plug to see what would happen. The battery stayed at 100% but drained down to 92% after about 15 minutes. It took much longer to shut down this time but after about 20 minutes it did shut down and showed the same symptoms as before including the dead battery on the main screen. Plugged it in and booted it up. The battery was down to 88%. I believe I have a battery issue and unless someone has a different diagnosis, I believe it's time to send this off to the scrap yard.

Power down on full power

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.