Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drives Won't Erase After Using With Time Machine

Hi,

I have 2 external hard drives that I was using for Time Machine. I have now replaced them and want to erase them for use as normal drives. I have de-selected them for use with Time Machine but Disk Utility won't erase them. It can't run First Aid on them either. It looks like they have become read only.

Here's the error message if that helps:

Erasing “Seagate Plus Drive 1” (disk11s1) and creating “Seagate Plus Drive 1”

Framework unable to communicate with the Disk Management daemon. : (-69812)

Operation failed…

Any ideas on how I can rescue these drives?

Thanks in advance!

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 3:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 4:50 AM

Predicate on the User having Removed the Problematic Drives from Time Machine Backup as per the Apple Support document in link below >>

Change Time Machine settings on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

The to Reformat the Entire Drive as per the Apple Support document in the below link should provide the correct Method to re-purpose the drive

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

The Key Element in the link is to use Disk Utilities >> View >> " Show ALL Devices "

The choose the Upper Most Drive by Manufacturers Name and not the Volumes below

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2023 4:50 AM in response to chalkypinch

Predicate on the User having Removed the Problematic Drives from Time Machine Backup as per the Apple Support document in link below >>

Change Time Machine settings on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

The to Reformat the Entire Drive as per the Apple Support document in the below link should provide the correct Method to re-purpose the drive

Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support (CA)

The Key Element in the link is to use Disk Utilities >> View >> " Show ALL Devices "

The choose the Upper Most Drive by Manufacturers Name and not the Volumes below

External Hard Drives Won't Erase After Using With Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.