How can I get back my recovery key

How can I get my recovery key

HomePod (2nd generation)

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 4:23 AM

6 replies

Apr 12, 2023 8:57 AM in response to Longeststresst

Since you posted this to the Apple ID forum I presume you are talking about a recovery key in the Apple ID and account context.

- With two-factor authentication (the current security system) and an Apple device, you have the option to generate a recovery key to help improve account security.

- A recovery key is a randomly generated 28-character code that you can use to help reset your password or regain access to your Apple ID.

- If you forget your Apple ID password and do not know your recovery key, you can try to regain access using your trusted device protected by a passcode.

- When you generate a recovery key, you can't use account recovery ( How to use account recovery when you can’t reset your Apple ID password - Apple Support ).

- "Using a recovery key is more secure, but it means that you’re responsible for maintaining access to your trusted devices and your recovery key. If you lose both of these items, you could be locked out of your account permanently."

Apr 12, 2023 8:55 AM in response to Longeststresst

Hello Longeststresst, unfortunately, you cannot regain your FileVault Recovery Key with any simple fix. You would have to reinstall macOS. Here's how:

What you need:

1: An external Time Machine/iCloud backup or no important docs currently saved on your Mac.

Instructions:

1: Restart your Mac in recovery mode. Press Command + R immediately after starting up. (Intel) Start up your Mac and continue to hold the power button as your Mac starts up. When you see the “Loading startup options” text let go of the power button then choose “options“ and continue. (Apple Silicone)

2: Enter your password in the user field, if necessary.

3: Select Disk Utility in the four options, then click Continue.

4: Select the disk closest to the top of the menu bar, then click Erase. In the pop-up select your desired name in the first field, APFS in the second, and GUID Partition Map in the third. Then click Erase.

5: Quit Disk Utility (Command + Q or select Disk Utility at the menu bar then choose Quit)

6: Choose “Reinstall macOS <Your macOS Name>”

7: Click Continue.

8: Click Agree on the Terms & Conditions and if there is a Pop-up click Agree on that, too.

9: Select the disk that you formatted a few minutes ago, then click Continue.

10: Wait for your computer to Install and Restart. Note: Your Mac may get hot when Installing and Restarting.

11: Set up your Mac the way you want it, then when it says “Restore from Mac, Time Machine Backup, or a Windows PC.” select “Restore from Mac or Time Machine Backup” Then click continue. Then Time Machine Backup. If you have an iCloud Backup you may need to restore later.

12: Plug in your Time Machine Backup disk then wait for it to appear. You may need to Refresh if the button is there. If there is no Refresh button and it can’t find your disk, make sure it’s plugged in all the way and then go out and back in. You may also try different ports if the problem persists.

13: Continue setting up your Mac.

You can always restore later by going to Launchpad > Other > Migration Assistant and follow the onscreen instructions.

Hope I could help!

How can I get back my recovery key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.