Message notifications

Message notifications are inaudible when iphone is in sleep mode. I have an Apple Watch but I get no notifications on it either.

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2023 11:47 AM

Same problem here after updating to iOS 16.4.1. These steps solved the problem for me on iPhone.

Problem:

You're NOT receiving text message notifications / iMessage notifications in the Messages app on iOS.

Solution:

1) Verify notifications are correct at Settings > Notifications > Messages;

2) Reboot iPhone, test again; if problem persists, follow these steps:

3) On the Home Screen, tap & HOLD on the Messages app icon;

4) Select "Remove App" and tap "Remove from Home Screen" (this WON'T delete the app or messages);

5) Go to the App Library (swipe left to get there, all the way to the right of the Home Screen panels);

6) In the App Library, type out "Messages" to find the Messages app in the list, don't tap it yet;

7) Tap & HOLD on the Messages app icon, then tap "Add to Home Screen".

8) Return to the Home Screen and find the Messages app, launch to check it.

9) Test for notifications again.

So long as your Notification Settings are set correctly, you should now start receiving notifications for text messages / iMessages as usual. Note that a full iOS settings reset did NOT solve the problem, so try these steps before doing any resets. Hope this helps.

These steps were performed successfully on iPhone 13 Mini, iOS 16.4.1.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2023 11:47 AM in response to Sir1Pocket

Same problem here after updating to iOS 16.4.1. These steps solved the problem for me on iPhone.

Problem:

You're NOT receiving text message notifications / iMessage notifications in the Messages app on iOS.

Solution:

1) Verify notifications are correct at Settings > Notifications > Messages;

2) Reboot iPhone, test again; if problem persists, follow these steps:

3) On the Home Screen, tap & HOLD on the Messages app icon;

4) Select "Remove App" and tap "Remove from Home Screen" (this WON'T delete the app or messages);

5) Go to the App Library (swipe left to get there, all the way to the right of the Home Screen panels);

6) In the App Library, type out "Messages" to find the Messages app in the list, don't tap it yet;

7) Tap & HOLD on the Messages app icon, then tap "Add to Home Screen".

8) Return to the Home Screen and find the Messages app, launch to check it.

9) Test for notifications again.

So long as your Notification Settings are set correctly, you should now start receiving notifications for text messages / iMessages as usual. Note that a full iOS settings reset did NOT solve the problem, so try these steps before doing any resets. Hope this helps.

These steps were performed successfully on iPhone 13 Mini, iOS 16.4.1.

Message notifications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.