Setup Assistant continues requiring internet connection after unenrolling the Mac from MDM. How to fix it?

I bought a MacBook, which was enrolled in MDM. The owning organisation has unenrolled it from MDM, however, the macOS Setup Assistant still points out that the Mac is registered to an organisation and requires an internet connection. How can it be unregistered to enable macOS offline installation? I see that it is a new feature of Ventura to require an internet connection in the Setup Assistant but it should not apply to my Mac given it was legitimately unenrolled from MDM. Are there some additional procedures to take to release the Mac from the organisation completely? Attaching a screenshot with the unexpected internet connection requirement:

Internet Connection Required

The Mac is registered to an organisation and requires an internet connection to complete the setup. Join a Wi-Fi network or connect via Ethernet to continue.

MDM/DEP status:

$ sudo profiles show -type enrollment
Error Fetching Device Enrollment Configuration: Client is not DEP enabled.
$ profiles status -type enrollment
Enrolled via DEP: No
MDM enrollment: No

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 8:11 AM

You'll need to fully setup the device, then you can wipe it and it should not see that error.

If you continue to see the error, the device was not fully released from ABM/MDM and you will need the assistance of someone with the device manager role.

Similar questions

4 replies

Apr 13, 2023 10:41 AM in response to celliott147

Thank you for the reply!

Could you please elaborate on what is treated as a full setup? At the moment, I skipped everything that can be skipped (iCloud, Touch ID, Siri, etc.). Do I need to configure anything of those?

The main problem I see is that I can't verify on my side whether the laptop was released from ABM (Apple Business Management). I just have to guess. I know the command to verify MDM enrollment but not ABM (registration to an organisation).

Setup Assistant continues requiring internet connection after unenrolling the Mac from MDM. How to fix it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.