Related Article: Apple security releases

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need it update my phone but it’s not letting install it

I need to install an update but it’s not letting me install it

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 2:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 2:45 PM

First, Go to Settings/General/About and note the iPhone Model Name, then check its version compatibility from this list:

• iPhone 8 or newer, including SE 2nd and 3rd editions, you can update to 16.4.1
  • Any iPhone series 6S and 7, and original SE: You can update to 15.7.5
  • iPhone 5S or 6: You cannot update to iOS 13 or higher; you can update only to iOS 12.5.7
  • iPhone 5: You can update only to 10.3.4
  • iPhone 5C: You can update only to 10.3.3
  • iPhone 4S: You can update only to 9.3.6
  • iPhone 4: You can update only to 7.1.2

If your phone is eligible for an update go to Settings/General/Software Update and follow the instructions.

To update over the air from the phone all of these requirements must be met:

• You need at least 10 GB of free storage for iOS 16 or 6 GB for iOS 15 or lower; more is better
  • You must be connected to a Wi-Fi network (and not a personal hotspot) unless it is an iPhone that supports cellular 5G (12, 13, 14 or SE 3rd edition) and has a 5G network connection
  • The phone must be charged to at least 50%, and preferably plugged in so it stays above 50% during the update
  • The phone must not be in Low Power Mode
  • The phone must not be connected through VPN, and it may be necessary to delete any VPN apps and VPN profiles
  • The phone cannot be in Airplane mode and must have a cellular data connection
  • You cannot still have a beta version installed on the phone
  • You cannot have a previous version that was downloaded, but not installed - go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage to look; if you find an iOS installer, delete it

If you can't meet all of them you can still update using your computer.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2023 2:45 PM in response to Kolton2012

First, Go to Settings/General/About and note the iPhone Model Name, then check its version compatibility from this list:

• iPhone 8 or newer, including SE 2nd and 3rd editions, you can update to 16.4.1
  • Any iPhone series 6S and 7, and original SE: You can update to 15.7.5
  • iPhone 5S or 6: You cannot update to iOS 13 or higher; you can update only to iOS 12.5.7
  • iPhone 5: You can update only to 10.3.4
  • iPhone 5C: You can update only to 10.3.3
  • iPhone 4S: You can update only to 9.3.6
  • iPhone 4: You can update only to 7.1.2

If your phone is eligible for an update go to Settings/General/Software Update and follow the instructions.

To update over the air from the phone all of these requirements must be met:

• You need at least 10 GB of free storage for iOS 16 or 6 GB for iOS 15 or lower; more is better
  • You must be connected to a Wi-Fi network (and not a personal hotspot) unless it is an iPhone that supports cellular 5G (12, 13, 14 or SE 3rd edition) and has a 5G network connection
  • The phone must be charged to at least 50%, and preferably plugged in so it stays above 50% during the update
  • The phone must not be in Low Power Mode
  • The phone must not be connected through VPN, and it may be necessary to delete any VPN apps and VPN profiles
  • The phone cannot be in Airplane mode and must have a cellular data connection
  • You cannot still have a beta version installed on the phone
  • You cannot have a previous version that was downloaded, but not installed - go to Settings/General/iPhone Storage to look; if you find an iOS installer, delete it

If you can't meet all of them you can still update using your computer.

I need it update my phone but it’s not letting install it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.