Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Updated to OS 13.3.1 and now Final Cut Pro (10.6.5) won't open ?

Hello - I just updated my MacBook Pro to OS 13.3.1 and now Final Cut Pro (10.6.5) won't open. It states to open but get's stuck on "Validating Audio Units, Audio Ease: Altiverb 7 (12/86). It doesn't move from there and I can't close it or force quit so I have to press and hold the power button and restart to get FCP to close. I've tried deleting the preferences but that doesn't help. A few times when I try to open FCP it get's hung up validating a different plugin. I don't think the issue has to do with the plugins as they open fine in Logic Pro 10.7.7.

Thanks for any help

Posted on Apr 12, 2023 9:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 2:13 PM

@Cat Songs - Can you rename /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/ to something like Components.ignore instead of trashing all your AUs? This might be a workaround to quickly enable and disable plugins for your urgent video project until Apple releases a fix for FCP or macOS.

I only have two plugins in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components and when I renamed it to Components.ignore and launched FCP, they were of course unavailable. I quit FCP, renamed it back to Components, relaunched FCP and they appeared as normal. If you also have plugins in ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components (I don't) you might have to rename that one too.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2023 2:13 PM in response to Cat Songs

@Cat Songs - Can you rename /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/ to something like Components.ignore instead of trashing all your AUs? This might be a workaround to quickly enable and disable plugins for your urgent video project until Apple releases a fix for FCP or macOS.

I only have two plugins in /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components and when I renamed it to Components.ignore and launched FCP, they were of course unavailable. I quit FCP, renamed it back to Components, relaunched FCP and they appeared as normal. If you also have plugins in ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components (I don't) you might have to rename that one too.

Apr 13, 2023 12:22 AM in response to Sudhie

Same issue. I posted separately.

My only solution: trash ALL my audio units.

The "offending" AUs were from... Native Instruments... iZotope... small fry in the audio plugin and VST universe...

Of course, now my MacBook Pro digital audio studio is shot. (Thank goodness I have a Mac Pro in my non-mobile studio.)

I am shocked at the lack of due diligence before 13.3.1 was released.

I am shocked that a VIDEO application is structured such that AUDIO plugins and VST determine whether it will open or not, with no ability to bypass items I NEVER USE when video editing.

And Apple — know that I al a long-term Apple user and enthusiastis a "leading technology company" emptying the best and the brightest in the field?

Sorry, but 13.3.1 wrecked my video-editing evening... and will greatly inconvenience getting my portable audio studio up and rolling again...

Will I have to trash all my AUs again when I have an urgent video project?

Apr 13, 2023 12:44 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom - When I try to launch FCP it get's hung up on validating Audio Units.

It was mostly the plugin Audio Ease: Altiverb 7 now it's Metric Halo:console connect and it has also been iZotope: Insight 2. I tried deleting Final Cut Pro and reinstalling but that didn't help. Apple support say's the issue has to be with the 3rd party plugins but Aliverb 7 and Metric Halo say they are Ventura compatible. I haven't checked on insight 2.

Apr 13, 2023 10:39 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Aloha e Tom,

When every deleted AU preventing FCP from opening just popped up another AU that wouldn't open...

... I just trashed the lot. (See below/above for reasons.)

It seemed as if FCP was going to find something to prevent it from opening. Drastic measures were required with an urgent video project due (for which I didn't need my Logic Pro audio units).

Cheers,

Cat

Updated to OS 13.3.1 and now Final Cut Pro (10.6.5) won't open ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.