Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hello, I had just reset my MacBook and I forgot my password. It won’t let me try and reset the password and I’m really panicking

How do you guys reset the password to your MacBook Air? I just bought mine a couple days ago and I completely forgot the password after shutting it down. It won’t give me the option to reset and I’m freaking out because I bought this for school. Any tips please?

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 6:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 8:15 AM

Hi Too_ Impaired,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing trouble with resetting the password on your MacBook Air. Here are some steps that you can try to reset your password:

1. Restart your MacBook Air and hold down the Command and R keys to enter Recovery Mode.
  2. Once you're in Recovery Mode, click on the Utilities menu at the top of the screen, and then select Terminal.
  3. In the Terminal window, type "resetpassword" (without quotes) and press Enter.
  4. This will bring up the Reset Password utility. Select the hard drive that your operating system is installed on and then select your user account.
  5. Enter a new password and confirm it, then click Save.
  6. Once you've reset your password, restart your MacBook Air and log in with your new password.

If this method doesn't work, you can also try using Apple's account recovery service. To do this, go to iforgot.apple.com and follow the steps to reset your Apple ID password. Once you've reset your Apple ID password, you can use it to log in to your MacBook Air.

If you're still having trouble resetting your password, it may be a good idea to contact Apple support for further assistance.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards

Olivia Devid

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2023 8:15 AM in response to Too_Impaired

Hi Too_ Impaired,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing trouble with resetting the password on your MacBook Air. Here are some steps that you can try to reset your password:

1. Restart your MacBook Air and hold down the Command and R keys to enter Recovery Mode.
  2. Once you're in Recovery Mode, click on the Utilities menu at the top of the screen, and then select Terminal.
  3. In the Terminal window, type "resetpassword" (without quotes) and press Enter.
  4. This will bring up the Reset Password utility. Select the hard drive that your operating system is installed on and then select your user account.
  5. Enter a new password and confirm it, then click Save.
  6. Once you've reset your password, restart your MacBook Air and log in with your new password.

If this method doesn't work, you can also try using Apple's account recovery service. To do this, go to iforgot.apple.com and follow the steps to reset your Apple ID password. Once you've reset your Apple ID password, you can use it to log in to your MacBook Air.

If you're still having trouble resetting your password, it may be a good idea to contact Apple support for further assistance.

I hope this helps!

Best Regards

Olivia Devid

Hello, I had just reset my MacBook and I forgot my password. It won’t let me try and reset the password and I’m really panicking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.