Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Time Machine for full backup

I run Time Machine with automatic 24hour backup. I need to take MAC in to Genius Bar. I think I should do full backup rather than automatic partials for this.Should I do this? I don't see a full backup option in Time Machine?

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 11:22 AM

Every backup represents a full backup. It's just that if there's not been a change to a file TM creates a hard link to the latest full sized file that's been backed up and uses that. Any time you recover files from TM you'll get the latest version of it unless you go back in time to get an earlier version.

The only way you can get a complete, full backup with Time Machine is to erase the drive and start over from scratch and that's somewhat counterproductive.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2023 11:22 AM in response to PaulD_

Every backup represents a full backup. It's just that if there's not been a change to a file TM creates a hard link to the latest full sized file that's been backed up and uses that. Any time you recover files from TM you'll get the latest version of it unless you go back in time to get an earlier version.

The only way you can get a complete, full backup with Time Machine is to erase the drive and start over from scratch and that's somewhat counterproductive.

Using Time Machine for full backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.