You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M2 MacBook Pro brightness dimming even though "automatically adjust brightness" and "true tone" is turned off.

My M2 MacBook Pro (2023) brightness keeps dimming even though "automatically adjust brightness" and "true tone" is turned off. I'm using an external DELL monitor and a Logitech keyboard. The monitor's screen stays lit, its the laptop's screen that darkens. Thanks. (I attached a screenshot of the brightness monitor's icon that's displayed and won't disappear from my screen).

MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 11:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 4, 2024 10:58 AM

This happens to me consistently on the laptop itself (no external monitor) when unplugging from power. I'm on Sonoma 14.4.1 (23E224) (M2 MacBook Air). It's incredibly annoying. I have tried with True Tone on and off; with automatically adjust brightness on and off; and with slightly dim the display on battery on and off; and all of these in every permutation. Nothing fixes it.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 4, 2024 10:58 AM in response to pehall2021

This happens to me consistently on the laptop itself (no external monitor) when unplugging from power. I'm on Sonoma 14.4.1 (23E224) (M2 MacBook Air). It's incredibly annoying. I have tried with True Tone on and off; with automatically adjust brightness on and off; and with slightly dim the display on battery on and off; and all of these in every permutation. Nothing fixes it.

Oct 4, 2023 8:05 AM in response to pehall2021

I am having this same problem on the same device. It has only become evident since I updated MacOS to Sonoma yesterday. The addition I would like to add here is that this only happens when the external screen is connected (in my case an LG 35WN75C (running at WQHD resolution) connected via USB-c. In Display settings I can see the slider for the brightness jump up and down consistently.

Haven't been able to solve this so far...

May 7, 2024 3:47 AM in response to flengord

flengord, did you ever resolve your issue? I bought an M2 MacBook Air last Monday (29th April 2024) and this is driving me crazy, I've been into System Settings, Display and used the slider to move brightness to the mid-point I've tried True Tone on and off and automatically adjust brightness on and off. I don't use an external monitor only the screen on the MacBook Air but every time I go back to my computer the screen is so dark I can't even find the Apple Menu - when I finally hit it and got to System Settings, Display I discover the the 'slider' is back down to almost zero. More than extremely frustrating! Yes, I'm also on Sonoma 14.4.1.

Apr 17, 2023 2:28 PM in response to pehall2021

Hello pehall2021,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Thanks for sharing these details with us. We want to help out and recommend some steps you can try. According to this resource here: If your Mac display doesn’t look right - Apple Support

It suggests that you should try to adjust your display brightness: Change your Mac display’s brightness - Apple Support

But it does sound like you've already gone down that route. From here, we'd like to further isolate this issue you're experiencing by testing the issue in safe mode. This step can help isolate possible software related issues: How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Apple silicon
1.) Shut down your Mac.
2.) Turn on your Mac and continue to press and hold the power button until you see the startup options window.
3.) Select your startup disk, then press and hold the Shift key while clicking “Continue in Safe Mode.”
4.) Log in to your Mac. You might be asked to log in again.

Depending on your results, follow the steps under “If the issue continues in safe mode” or “If the issue doesn't continue in safe mode”.

We hope this helps out. Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Best of luck.

M2 MacBook Pro brightness dimming even though "automatically adjust brightness" and "true tone" is turned off.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.