Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

I use gmail. I don't use Mail on my Mac. It has 14000 messages in it. I want to delete them. If I do, will I loose the messages in my gmail account?

I use gmail. I don't use Mail on my Mac. It has 14000 messages in it. I want to delete them. If I do, will I lose the messages in my gmail account?

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 5:09 PM

If you're asking about deleting them on your Mac, you have to be sure to remove the account so it doesn't check & start deleting them on the Server end...

1. In the Mail app  on your Mac, choose Mail > Settings>Accounts.
  2. Select an account, then click the tiny minus icon.
  3. Note: If the account is used by other apps on your Mac, you’re asked to remove the account in Internet Accounts settings. Click the button to open Internet Accounts, then turn Mail off for the account. To stop using

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 13, 2023 5:09 PM in response to J_C_O

If you're asking about deleting them on your Mac, you have to be sure to remove the account so it doesn't check & start deleting them on the Server end...

1. In the Mail app  on your Mac, choose Mail > Settings>Accounts.
  2. Select an account, then click the tiny minus icon.
  3. Note: If the account is used by other apps on your Mac, you’re asked to remove the account in Internet Accounts settings. Click the button to open Internet Accounts, then turn Mail off for the account. To stop using

I use gmail. I don't use Mail on my Mac. It has 14000 messages in it. I want to delete them. If I do, will I loose the messages in my gmail account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.