Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Can’t find netdrivers/drivers

So i installed iTunes in order to connect my pc to the internet by usb connexion to my iPhone, it wasn’t working. I saw on forums that i needed to update the driver by finding it in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Mobile Device Support\Driver but i don’t have the “Driver” folder in Mobile Device Support i only have CFNetwork.resources and CoreFoundation.resources. Please help, may i download this driver somewhere or anything ?

iPhone 12

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 2:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2023 4:56 PM

So it seems no one is able to fix this issue around the internet.

Looks like nowadays technicians won't escape the "plug-n-play", "you doing something wrong" fixes.

At the same time as tech "evolves" it's letting apart troubleshooting for situations that were really common years ago, like in this case of having no internet connection at all and needing a situational hotspot.

Now everything works with windows update, assuming you will always have a working connection.

So here's the old school fix for this issue:

With no internet access, you will plug in your iphone obviously sharing wifi, just to see it's not working.

First you need another pc with internet and download the iTunes installer.

Then install iTunes.

This will setup something we can call "basic drivers", that for some reason I don't understand, they do not include net drivers anymore.

Now when you plug in your Iphone it will get recognized!... But as regular phone, not internet access yet.

If you take a deep look into windows device manager, you will see there's a device not recognized with no driver installed with a name that can differ with each case. It will usually say something like Apple USB Ethernet.

Seems like when you turn your iPhone into a usb hotspot, windows needs another driver.

SO WHERE DO WE FIND THIS DRIVER?

Most of people have never installed a driver other than probably nvidia, in their lives.

Go into this "faulty device" properties -> Details -> Property -> Hardware id.

It should look like something like "USB\VID_05AC&PID_12A8&MI_02" (my personal case)

This is the name of the driver you are really looking for, not the "Apple USB Ethernet" driver.

If you look it up in google you will get into a low amount of results of driver pages.

Just Download the driver from any of these pages taking care it is the same model (hardware id).

Having the driver, go into the "faulty device" again and right click -> update -> look in MY PC -> choose from a list on MY PC -> use disc -> examine -> select .inf file on the driver folder you just downloaded -> next next next.

If everything goes correctly it will say the driver was correctly installed. Restart and open iTunes. Now your usb hotspot should be working.

This will not work if, after installing the driver into the device, you get a message with some type of error like couldn't init device or whatever. The device on the list will now have a yellow triangle. This means you installed the wrong driver, so just uninstall and look for the correct one. THIS IS WHY WINDOWS UPDATE EXISTS!!!

Hope this helps.

Soren.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2023 4:56 PM in response to neptix

So it seems no one is able to fix this issue around the internet.

Looks like nowadays technicians won't escape the "plug-n-play", "you doing something wrong" fixes.

At the same time as tech "evolves" it's letting apart troubleshooting for situations that were really common years ago, like in this case of having no internet connection at all and needing a situational hotspot.

Now everything works with windows update, assuming you will always have a working connection.

So here's the old school fix for this issue:

With no internet access, you will plug in your iphone obviously sharing wifi, just to see it's not working.

First you need another pc with internet and download the iTunes installer.

Then install iTunes.

This will setup something we can call "basic drivers", that for some reason I don't understand, they do not include net drivers anymore.

Now when you plug in your Iphone it will get recognized!... But as regular phone, not internet access yet.

If you take a deep look into windows device manager, you will see there's a device not recognized with no driver installed with a name that can differ with each case. It will usually say something like Apple USB Ethernet.

Seems like when you turn your iPhone into a usb hotspot, windows needs another driver.

SO WHERE DO WE FIND THIS DRIVER?

Most of people have never installed a driver other than probably nvidia, in their lives.

Go into this "faulty device" properties -> Details -> Property -> Hardware id.

It should look like something like "USB\VID_05AC&PID_12A8&MI_02" (my personal case)

This is the name of the driver you are really looking for, not the "Apple USB Ethernet" driver.

If you look it up in google you will get into a low amount of results of driver pages.

Just Download the driver from any of these pages taking care it is the same model (hardware id).

Having the driver, go into the "faulty device" again and right click -> update -> look in MY PC -> choose from a list on MY PC -> use disc -> examine -> select .inf file on the driver folder you just downloaded -> next next next.

If everything goes correctly it will say the driver was correctly installed. Restart and open iTunes. Now your usb hotspot should be working.

This will not work if, after installing the driver into the device, you get a message with some type of error like couldn't init device or whatever. The device on the list will now have a yellow triangle. This means you installed the wrong driver, so just uninstall and look for the correct one. THIS IS WHY WINDOWS UPDATE EXISTS!!!

Hope this helps.

Soren.

Apr 17, 2023 3:53 PM in response to neptix

Hi neptix,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand you installed iTunes on your PC so you could connect your iPhone via USB, but it's not working. If your computer or iTunes isn't recognizing your iPhone, this article has some steps that can help: If your computer doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support.

"Look in the Finder or iTunes

On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, look for your device in the sidebar of any window in the Finder.*

On a Mac with an earlier version of macOS, look for your device in iTunes.

On a PC with iTunes for Windows, look for your device in iTunes.

Learn more about viewing your device in the Finder or iTunes

Update the software on all devices

Update your iPhone or iPad

Update your Mac

Update your Windows PC

On your PC you might also need to update iTunes and update drivers.

Connect your device directly to your computer

Make sure that your device is unlocked and showing its Home Screen, then use a USB cable to connect it directly to your computer. Don't connect to a USB hub, display, or other device. 

If that doesn't help, disconnect your device and all other USB devices and accessories from your computer. Then reconnect only your device. 

Trust your computer, if asked

If you see a “Trust this Computer?” alert on your device when you plug it into your computer, tap Trust.

About the 'Trust This Computer' alert

Allow the accessory to connect

When connecting your device to a Mac laptop computer with Apple silicon, your Mac might ask whether you want to allow this accessory to connect. If so, allow it to connect.

Learn about allowing accessories to connect

Restart your devices

Restart your iPhone

Restart your iPad

Restart your Mac

Restart your Windows PC

Try a different port, cable, or computer

The issue could be related to your computer, its USB port, or the USB cable connecting it to your device. If possible, try a different computer, USB port, or USB cable. Also check for any debris in the charging port on the bottom of your iPhone or iPad.

Contact us

If your computer still doesn't recognize your iPhone or iPad, contact Apple Support."

We hope this helps.

Take care.

Can’t find netdrivers/drivers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.