Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Music app is not making playlists properly

I have audio book CDs that I have been successfully importing into my Macbook Pro 2021.

It's been working great until recently.

I would simply insert the CD, and Music would see the tracks on the CD.

Then I would drag them into a new playlist on the Macbook, connect my iPhone 13 and they would sync to the phone just fine.

Recently Music would put all except the last track onto the new playlist I had created.

So I can't get the whole CD into the playlist on my Macbook. Even if I try and drag the last track on manually.

I think something is corrupted with the Music app on my Macbook.

Is there a way I can delete the Macbook Music app and reinstall it, or force a repair in some way?

I really don't want to wipe my Macbook and reinstall all apps. It would be too disruptive to my work life right now.

What can I do?

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Apr 13, 2023 7:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2023 1:59 PM

Hello TRexAccordion,

Since this issue continues in multiple music libraries, we would recommend reaching out to Apple Support. They would be the best equipped to look into behavior further. Contact them here: Get Support

Cheers!

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 15, 2023 11:00 AM in response to TRexAccordion

Hey there TRexAccordion,

We understand you're having trouble getting the last track from your CD to your playlist. We'd be happy to provide information to help you address this.

You may want to try creating a new music library to see if it works as you're expecting there:

Use multiple libraries in Music on Mac - Apple Support

Create or choose a library
1. In the Music app  on your Mac, choose Music > Quit Music.
2. Hold down the Option key while you reopen Music.
3. In the window that appears, do one of the following:
* Create a new library: Click Create Library.
* Choose a different library: Click Choose Library.
You can name your new library (the folder containing your Music content) whatever you like. For best results, if you create additional music libraries, don’t name the new libraries “Music” or “New Music.” Make sure each library has a unique name so you’ll know which is which.

Kind regards.

Apr 15, 2023 1:41 PM in response to 1ssmith

Thanks for the reply!

I honestly thought this was going to work, but unfortunately it did not.

I was able to create the library just fine and sync with my phone.

Unfortunately, the CD has 15 tracks and Music (on Macbook) only moved 14 of them into the playlist I created for it when I dragged them in there.

Actually, it's very odd as I look at it now:

• CD (source of the tracks, of course) has 15 tracks. All data appears to be fine with the CD. Also, this has happened the same way with several different CDs so I'm pretty sure this is not where the problem is.
  • Macbook Music playlist has only 14
  • BUT, the iphone shows two different track number amounts:
    • iPhone, as seen through Macbook Music "Devices" shows 15, but the last track is missing Genre
    • iPhone, as seen through the phone device, shows only 14 in the playlist

So I'm not sure what to do now. It seems like there might be a deeper issue regarding playlist creation if the track isn't being ripped and placed in the playlist properly.

Just to be thorough, I also grabbed a music CD from another pile and ripped it to MP3 so I can drag it into a new playlist. It's very odd but the music CD sync'ed fine. All the right number of tracks show up on the iPhone.

What would cause there to be a difference between a music CD and any other CD?

Macbook Music app is not making playlists properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.