Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Im the sole user/owner of my iMac but don't have all administrator rights. Why?

Im the sole user/owner of my iMac and administrator.

Originally my iMac was set up, with my name Kelly B (OSx El Capitan). I had Best Buy total tech reset and upgrade my iMac now running monterey . Total Tech changed my login name from "KellyB" to "owner". Why the change and could they be acting as the administrator with privileges above mine?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 8:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 14, 2023 9:35 AM

If everything else is Ok and you have all your files in the "owner" account, then you can use the instructions in this Apple article to change the user name of the account. Make sure to carefully read & follow all of the instructions without missing a step.

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 14, 2023 9:35 AM in response to kmh-222

If everything else is Ok and you have all your files in the "owner" account, then you can use the instructions in this Apple article to change the user name of the account. Make sure to carefully read & follow all of the instructions without missing a step.

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder - Apple Support

Apr 14, 2023 8:47 AM in response to kmh-222

Have you tried adding an additional admin-user, so you can verify your account and granted rights?

Here is how to set up a new account: Add a user or group on Mac - Apple Support

Make sure you set it up as an administrator.

Then you should be able to modify other users as well.

Also here is a tip, I've got from an Mac-admin and friend:

When you set up a new Mac set up the first Accounts as an Admininistrator (think of it like it is a Master Account) and set up an additional account (even if it is an admin-account as well).

Then keep the Master account as a fallback and only use it in case of ermergency. Then use the second account as your "regular account". Doing this, you will always have an account, that can manage all other accounts.

So if your regular Account gets corrupted, you can always use your Master account to handle other Accounts.

I've done this for years now and actually only used it once - but it was worth having it :D

Im the sole user/owner of my iMac but don't have all administrator rights. Why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.